Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Mel Kiper Jr.: MSU no 'guarantee draft choice' in this year's NFL Draft

Former MSU center Brian Allen speaks to the media at the NFL Combine on March 1, 2018, at the Indianapolis Convention Center. Allen was an offensive All Big Ten selection last season.
Former MSU center Brian Allen speaks to the media at the NFL Combine on March 1, 2018, at the Indianapolis Convention Center. Allen was an offensive All Big Ten selection last season. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

ESPN NFL and College Draft Analyst Mel Kiper Jr. made his annual predictions Wednesday on his top draft choices heading into the 2018 NFL Draft, which starts April 26. 

Former Spartans Brian Allen, Chris Frey, Gerald Holmes, Demetrius Cooper and Brett Scanlon have the possibility to get drafted this year.

Kiper said he believes this year will be a harder decision on who will make it through the first round,  since the choices do not jump out to him.

“There is really no one that jumps out in that category and says that they’ll be the first two day type of pick,” Kiper Jr. said. “Brian Allen, center, more then likely a late rounder.”

Allen was the only Spartan to receive an invite to this year's NFL Combine in Indianapolis. He earned a 5.26 prospect grade out of 10 points which makes him a "better-than-average chance to make NFL roster," according the NFL. At the combine, he met with 18 teams and was predicted to fall between a second to fifth round draft pick. 

Holmes is now on the radar for NFL teams after putting up 17 lifts, a 35 vertical jump along with other impressions, according to NFL Network's Gil Brandt.

“I think this year, there is no one as a guaranteed draft choice,” Kiper Jr. said. 

Sports editor Jonathan LeBlanc contributed to this article.

Share and discuss “Mel Kiper Jr.: MSU no 'guarantee draft choice' in this year's NFL Draft” on social media.