Community to rally Friday for resignations of Trustees, Engler

<p>Protesters gather at the Reclaim MSU Rally at the Hannah Administration Building on March 23, 2018. (Annie Barker | State News)</p>

Protesters gather at the Reclaim MSU Rally at the Hannah Administration Building on March 23, 2018. (Annie Barker | State News)

Reclaim MSU, Me Too MSU and others will gather at the MSU Rally for Resignations to amplify calls for the departures of Interim President John Engler and the Board of Trustees.

The rally will be held at at 5:30 p.m. Friday on the steps of the Hannah Administration Building.

The rally comes on the heels of the latest Board of Trustees meeting, during which survivor Kaylee Lorincz accused Engler of offering her $250,000 to settle her lawsuit without her attorney present. 

Lorincz also accused Engler of calling alleged sexual misconduct by former College of Osteopathic Medicine Dean William Strampel "no big deal." Lorincz's story sparked outrage among those in attendance at the meeting and prompted further action by MSU activist groups.

Survivor of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar's sexual abuse Morgan McCaul said the rally is about more than survivors calling for justice — it's about the Spartan community demanding more from those responsible for creating a safe campus.

"The current administration has fostered a toxic culture of sexual violence and secrecy, where MSU students are exploited without consequence," McCaul said in a statement. "This is where Me Too MSU and Reclaim MSU join hands with the community at large to make our voices heard. I hope everyone who feels frustrated or silenced by the current Board of Trustees to attend the event. And I hope that the University's administration can't help but finally face the cries of their constituents."

A Facebook page for the event encourages those who plan to attend to bring signs and teal clothing.

Share and discuss “Community to rally Friday for resignations of Trustees, Engler ” on social media.