50-50 rule to be eliminated and more takeaways from E.L. City Council

The East Lansing City Council on Nov. 21, 2017 at the 54B District Court.
The East Lansing City Council on Nov. 21, 2017 at the 54B District Court. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

East Lansing City Council met after a short delay caused by the budget work session. Here are three takeaways from Tuesday's meeting:

North Harrison Road might be put on a "diet"

The city is moving forward with plans to slim down Harrison Road between Grand River and Michigan Avenues from four to three lanes.

Harrison Road currently has two lanes of traffic going in both directions. The changes, dubbed a "road diet," would create one lane going in each direction with a center turn lane.

Dedicated bike lanes could also be added, connecting the bike lanes found on Michigan and Grand River Avenues.

Director of Public Works Scott House said the plans could potentially be paid for by a federal Transportation Alternatives grant or Michigan Department of Transportation safety program funding.

Although public comment on the matter at the council meeting was overwhelmingly positive, Mayor Mark Meadows said that did not completely reflect the responses he had received. However, he said he was "very much supportive" of the road diet because it would increase safety along the corridor.

50-50 rule to be eliminated

Council voted unanimously to remove a requirement that restaurants bring in no more than 50 percent of their revenue from alcohol sales.

Meadows said he hoped the passing of the ordinance would not lead to restaurants "devolving" into bars that serve nothing but alcohol.

If there are any problems, Director of East Lansing Planning, Building and Development Tim Dempsey said the city could take action, up to moving to revoke liquor licenses of offending restaurants.

"We did discuss — there are ways to address that. From our standpoint we just need to recognize that if there are negative outcomes, we will have to use our resources to address that," Dempsey said. 

The Downtown Development Authority and Downtown Management Board both are in support of the measure to remove the 50-50 requirement, Dempsey said. However, some councilmembers are worried the language of the ordinance "could be abused," namely a requirement that restaurants that choose to serve alcohol offer at least 10 food items as well.

Despite those concerns, councilmember Shanna Draheim said she didn't expect any drastic decline in culinary options.

"People will select where they want to eat based on what they want to eat," Draheim said. 

City supporting downtown businesses during construction

Community Development and Engagement Manager Amy Schusler-Schmitt gave a presentation on the East Lansing Buzz initiative.

The program has been the information hub for residents and businesses looking to navigate the multiple redevelopment efforts downtown, including Center City, Park District and the Hub. 

Parking validation assistance, outreach tips and construction timelines are offered for businesses directly affected by the redevelopment efforts.

For residents, the "Find the Bee" program offers weekly chances at a $100 gift card to local restaurants. In addition, on a random day every week, parking meters sporting a special bag will mean free parking from 7 a.m. to 3 a.m. for anyone who secures the spot.

Share and discuss “50-50 rule to be eliminated and more takeaways from E.L. City Council” on social media.