Michigan House Democrats endorse Gretchen Whitmer for governor

<p>Gubernatorial candidate Gretchen Whitmer speaks during the Know Your Vote event on Oct. 11, 2017, at Case Hall. The MSU Democrats and the MSU NAACP hosted the event.</p>

Gubernatorial candidate Gretchen Whitmer speaks during the Know Your Vote event on Oct. 11, 2017, at Case Hall. The MSU Democrats and the MSU NAACP hosted the event.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

The Michigan House Democrats endorsed gubernatorial candidate and MSU alumna Gretchen Whitmer for governor.

All four Michigan Democrats — U.S. Reps. Dan Kildee of Flint of Township, Debbie Dingell of Dearborn, Sander Levin of Royal Oak and Brenda Lawrence of Southfield — met in Taylor Monday morning and came to the decision to support Whitmer in the race for Michigan governor.

The group agreed to endorse Whitmer because they thought she was the best choice for the democratic party in the November general election, according to an article from MLive. 

Other democrats running include former Detroit health director Abdul El-Sayed, businessman Shri Thanedar of Ann Arbor, and retired business executive Bill Cobbs of Farmington Hills . 

The Republican governor candidates in the race are Attorney General Bill Schuette of Midland, Lt. Gov. Brian Calley of Portland, Sen. Patrick Colbeck of Canton, Dr. Jim Hines of Saginaw Township, Evan Space of Lansing, Earl Lackie of Royal Oak, Mark McFarlin of Pinconning and Joseph DeRose of Williamston. 

"I'm grateful that the leaders who fight for the people of Michigan every day in D.C. are joining me in the fight for the Michigan we deserve,” Whitmer said in a press release. “The work they do is crucial to growing an economy that ensures our family incomes grow with it. I’m proud to have their support. Together, we’re going to fix our roads, create paths to high-wage jobs, educate Michigan’s kids, and fight for health care.  Now let’s get to work.”

Editor's Note: This article was updated with Whitmer's quote at 1:54 a.m.

Share and discuss “Michigan House Democrats endorse Gretchen Whitmer for governor” on social media.