MSU Detroit to host Spartan Pep Rally for NCAA Tourney opener

Pictured is Little Caesars Arena in Midtown Detroit on Jan. 2, 2018.
Pictured is Little Caesars Arena in Midtown Detroit on Jan. 2, 2018. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Thanks to a group of MSU alumni, Spartan fans without tickets to the men’s basketball team’s opening NCAA Tournament game against Bucknell at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit Friday will still have an opportunity for a viewing experience.

The Detroit Spartans, the MSU alumni club based in Metro Detroit, has organized a watch party for green and white faithful planning to be in the Motor City for the game. The Spartan Pep Rally will be hosted by the alumni club in conjunction with the MSU Alumni Association at The Fillmore Detroit. 

The Spartan alumni group, formed in 2009 following MSU’s Final Four appearance in Detroit, didn’t host a watch party for the team’s Dec. 16 win against Oakland at LCA, club president Steve Culp said. But the group often assists with promoting events in the Detroit area organized by the MSU Alumni Association without always being directly involved.

“MSUAA may put on something, and we may not directly help them, but we’ll advertise it,” Culp said. “But obviously, when you get to NCAA Tournament time there’s nothing else, that’s it. That’s what we’ve been waiting for.” 

The Detroit Spartans offer a variety of services, including rewarding scholarships to high school students in Wayne County. But Culp said the main objective of the group during this time of year is to direct Spartan fans on where to go in the Detroit area to watch games. 

“Typically our operation is to do game watches,” he said. “Football season, basketball season, we will take a look at the schedule and talk about, ‘Hey, when do we want the game watches? Where do we want the game watches?’” 

Culp said when Spartan fans reach out the alumni club for watch parties, the group turns to venues in Detroit owned by MSU alumni.

“We’ve had businesses say, ‘Hey, we want to make this like East Lansing,’” he said. “We’d get together, decorate the place and play the fight song.” 

Fans who opt to attend the pep rally instead of LCA this weekend can still get the full game experience. The event will include a number of special guests, including MSU cheerleaders, Spartan Brass and Sparty. 

“For fans coming out to Detroit, whether they do or don’t have tickets, it’s just a great experience to show our Spartan spirit,” Culp said. 

Snacks and a cash bar will also be available. Tickets are $10 per person and can be purchased here. 

Share and discuss “MSU Detroit to host Spartan Pep Rally for NCAA Tourney opener ” on social media.