Ice hockey and Wolverines tie in regulation, U-M wins in shootout

Michigan's senior left wing Niko Porikos (22) faces off against  freshman center Tommy Apap (11) during the game against Michigan on Feb. 9, 2018 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans and Wolverines tied 1-1, but the Spartans lost in a shootout.(Annie Barker | State News)
Michigan's senior left wing Niko Porikos (22) faces off against freshman center Tommy Apap (11) during the game against Michigan on Feb. 9, 2018 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans and Wolverines tied 1-1, but the Spartans lost in a shootout.(Annie Barker | State News) —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

On the last shot of the game, U-M’s senior forward Tony Calderone would get the top-shelf goal past sophomore goaltender John Lethemon to get the win against MSU for the third time this season.

The Spartans and Wolverines would end the game in the tie, but U-M would end the game 2-1.

“I thought they battle hard today,” head coach Danton Cole said. “I think we’ll do a couple of things better tomorrow.”

The Wolverines would be the ones to keep the Spartans on their toes in the first period outshooting them 8-4 controlling the game. Freshman forward Mitchell Lewandowski got the first shot on goal but would remain scoreless. 

U-M’s freshman defenseman Quinn Hughes would strike first in the game. After battling for the puck, he slid on the ice to push the puck past Lethemon.

Lethemon had a total of 37 saves tonight while his teammates only produced 18 shots. 

“I thought I was seeing the puck well,” Lethemon said. “I was controlling my rebounds… I try to limit their second chances.”

A few minutes later, senior defenseman Carson Gatt would get the crowd going to put the Spartans on the board for their first one of the night. Sophomore forward Taro Hirose would set up the pass right in front of U-M’s sophomore goaltender Hayden Lavigne.

“If anything it should give us more fuel,” Gatt said. “We have to play a little more hungrier tomorrow, a little more aggressive. We weren’t satisfied we didn’t get the win tonight. We’re coming out tomorrow to win that game.” 

The Spartans and Wolverines will head down to Detroit tomorrow for a 7 p.m. puck drop at Little Caesars Arena for the Duel in the D. 

“I don’t get too caught up in the shootouts,” Cole said. “We got to come out and get the win tomorrow and it’ll be a heck of a weekend."

Share and discuss “Ice hockey and Wolverines tie in regulation, U-M wins in shootout” on social media.