A survivor of Nassar's abuse, Stephens details road to recovery

Kyle Stephens tears up during Rachael Denhollander's statement on the seventh and final day of Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar's sentencing on Jan. 24, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Kyle Stephens tears up during Rachael Denhollander's statement on the seventh and final day of Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar's sentencing on Jan. 24, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

Kyle Stephens, a survivor of sexual abuse by ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, shared how her childhood trauma has impacted her as an adult and touched upon the healing process through a video on the Washington Post on Feb. 13.

"I don't know why sexual abuse and sexual assault affects your self worth so much," Stephens said in the video. "It makes it hard for you to look in the mirror and understand why you matter."

Stephens spoke of the impact and toll Nassar had on her life. She has suffered mental and physical ailments, including eating disorders and compulsive skin picking.

Nassar sexually abused Stephens for six years. Stephens was one of the first of more than 150 survivors to step forward and testify against Nassar in court.

Nassar has been sentenced 40 to 175 years in Ingham County, and he was sentenced 40 to 125 years in Eaton County for charges of first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

In addition to these charges, Nassar was sentenced 60 years for child pornography charges in December 2017.

Stephens said she copes with the trauma in different ways. She runs, does yoga, practices breathing techniques and focuses on something positive from an affirmations book.  

"Everybody heals at their own pace and in their own way," Stephens said.

Stephens said hundreds of abuse victims have reached out to her across the world through social media sharing their story and thanking her for sharing hers. 

"We as a community and we as a society have so little resources for these people that they think their best chance to start on a path of healing is to reach out to me via Instagram, and that is just heartbreaking," Stephens said in the video. "If I could talk to my six or 12-year-old self now, I would tell her that her voice matters, that her pain is real and that it matters, that she deserves to be happy, and that speaking her truth is important because it will help other people."

Share and discuss “A survivor of Nassar's abuse, Stephens details road to recovery” on social media.