Faculty Senate schedules meeting for vote of no confidence in MSU trustees

<p>Faculty liaison Robert LaDuca announces to students at the sit in that a vote has gone out to all faculty members at Michigan State University to place a vote of no confidence on their next faculty senate meeting Jan. 31, 2018.</p>

Faculty liaison Robert LaDuca announces to students at the sit in that a vote has gone out to all faculty members at Michigan State University to place a vote of no confidence on their next faculty senate meeting Jan. 31, 2018.

Photo by Anna Liz Nichols | The State News

An emergency meeting of MSU Faculty Senate to hold a vote of no confidence in MSU's Board of Trustees has been scheduled for Feb. 13.

The meeting will be held at 3:15 p.m. in room 115 of the International Center. Robert LaDuca, associate dean for administration and academic governance and at-large member of the MSU Steering Committee, confirmed the meeting Monday.

If Faculty Senate votes no confidence, it will call for all members of the board to resign immediately.

"The vote is legally non-binding, but we hope it carries the moral weight of the faculty community,” LaDuca said.

MSU Academic Congress overwhelmingly approved the no confidence vote in a faculty-wide ballot Saturday. Of the total votes received, 1,907 voted yes and 192 voted no. Sixty-two faculty members abstained. The ballots sent electronically total 2,776.

Academic Congress is composed of all faculty at the university, LaDuca said. 

The Steering Committee released a statement Jan. 30 threatening a vote of no confidence if the board appointed former governor John Engler as interim president, citing concerns that the board ignored student and faculty suggestions. 

Engler was appointed Jan. 31 and the committee immediately called for the vote.

MSU Residence Halls Association unanimously voted no confidence in the board Thursday.

Share and discuss “Faculty Senate schedules meeting for vote of no confidence in MSU trustees” on social media.