Friday march still on following Simon's resignation

The Rock reads "Time's Up. Change Lou Anna." on Jan. 21, 2018. (State News | Annie Barker)
The Rock reads "Time's Up. Change Lou Anna." on Jan. 21, 2018. (State News | Annie Barker) —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

More than 500 students planned to march across campus Friday to demand MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon’s resignation.

Then, Wednesday evening, they got what they wanted a little early.

Simon resigned Wednesday evening, but the protest, originally "Students for the Resignation of Lou Anna K. Simon" has become "March for Survivors and Change at MSU." The event has more than 500 students marked as "going" and more than 900 have marked "interested."

The event will start at 6 p.m. on Friday at The Rock. Protesters are encouraged to wear teal, the “color for sexual assault awareness,” according to the event page.

The protest is being organized by two students in collaboration with MSU College Democrats, a press release from MSU Democrats Press Secretary Eli Pales said.

"Although former Michigan State University President Lou Anna K. Simon announced her resignation earlier this week, students at Michigan State University still plan to continue their protest on Friday to push for change at the institution and to support survivors of Larry Nassar's decades of horrendous abuse," according to a press release from the MSU College Democrats.

The release also includes the demands from students marching. According to the release, students demand the following:

• A statement from the MSU Board of Trustees that reveals its attitude toward allegations of sexual assault
  • A list from the MSU Board of Trustees on immediate changes to empower sexual assault survivors and restore trust
  • Two open meetings with community participation — One as soon as possible, one following the completions of investigations from the Michigan Attorney General and the NCAA
  • A plan that addresses shortcomings in MSU's transparency from both the MSU Board of Trustees and the Associated Students of Michigan State University
  • The resignation of trustees who oppose the prior points explicitly or through inaction

MSU spokesperson Jason Cody provided a statement on the protest via email prior to Simon's resignation.

“We recognize this is a horrible situation, and we applaud the courage of the dozens of women who have spoken at Larry Nassar’s sentencing,” according to the statement. “Our students obviously have strong emotions concerning these events, and we respect their right to make their voices heard.”

Editor's note — This story was last updated on Jan. 25 at 1:30 a.m. to include new information following the resignation of MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon and again on Jan. 25 at 4:30 p.m. to include updated information on the number of students attending, the press release from the MSU College Democrats and to update the headline.

Share and discuss “Friday march still on following Simon's resignation ” on social media.