Former Gov. John Engler to be named interim president, reports say

Mary Graham of the Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College receives one of the awards from Richard Riley, former secretary of education, and John Engler, left, former Michigan Governor, during the award ceremony of the nation's first annual winner of the Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., Monday, December 12, 2011. (Astrid Riecken/MCT)
Mary Graham of the Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College receives one of the awards from Richard Riley, former secretary of education, and John Engler, left, former Michigan Governor, during the award ceremony of the nation's first annual winner of the Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., Monday, December 12, 2011. (Astrid Riecken/MCT) —

Former Governor John Engler will be appointed MSU's interim president, according to multiple media outlets.

Engler, an MSU alumnus, is expected to take over as an outside hire while the Board of Trustees looks for a permenant replacement for former president Lou Anna K. Simon, who resigned last week after the fallout of the Larry Nassar case. He is expected to be appointed at Wednesday's special board meeting at 9 a.m.

Engler serves as the chairman of the National Assessment Governing Board for the U.S. Department of Education. Liz Hill, press secretary at the U.S. Department of Education, said the appointment will be reviewed to prevent conflicts of interest.

"We are working with NAGB as well as the Department’s designated ethics official to review any potential conflicts and determine what, if any, action needs to be taken," Hill said.

Engler served as Michigan governor from 1991 to 2003. He is a Republican. 

Stay with The State News for updates.

Share and discuss “Former Gov. John Engler to be named interim president, reports say” on social media.