Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Osteopathic Medicine Dean steps down for medical leave

MSU's Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine, William D. Strampel, stepped down from his position Thursday for medical leave.

After stepping down Thursday, Strampel's medical leave will start Friday, according to MSU spokesperson Jason Cody.

Strampel was named dean of the college in 2002. He is also the lead medical director of MSU HealthTeam.

Strampel is accused of failing “to report sexual abuse about which they knew or should have known” when it comes to ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar. He's named as a defendant in multiple lawsuits against MSU.

According to emails obtained by the Lansing State Journal and the Washington Post, Strampel was informed during the 2014 Title IX investigation into Nassar's conduct at MSU, where Nassar was eventually cleared.

While it's unclear just how long Strampel's medical leave will last, per the faculty contract, medical leave could last up to six months, Cody said.

"But in no way can I tell you how long his will last, that's a question you'd have to ask him," Cody said.

Kari Hortos, the College of Osteopathic Medicine's senior associate dean, will serve as "responsible administrator," Cody said.

"And that's a role she's going to serve while the provost works with the college to figure out who will be the interim dean," he added.

Share and discuss “Osteopathic Medicine Dean steps down for medical leave” on social media.