MSU homecoming celebration begins with tradition of "Glowing Green"

<p>The Beaumont Tower is "Glowing Green" in honor of MSU homecoming week. Photo courtesy of MSU Photography Services</p>

The Beaumont Tower is "Glowing Green" in honor of MSU homecoming week. Photo courtesy of MSU Photography Services

This year’s homecoming week at MSU will precede the celebration of defeating U-M in the rivalry football game last weekend and for the seventh year the “Glow Green” tradition will continue during the week of October 15-21. 

Spartans across the globe will identify each other by replacing their porch lights this week, with green bulbs in honor of MSU homecoming, a celebration of their university. 

Participants are encouraged to submit a photo of their house, apartment or residence hall room “glowing green” to the Glow Green Photo Contest. All glow green photo submissions will be shared on the MSU Alumni Association Facebook page or by using the hashtag #GlowGreen on Twitter and Instagram, competing to win one of the three MSU-themed prizes.

• FIRST PLACE: $100 Spartan Bookstore gift card and a photo opportunity for you +4 guests with Sparty

• SECOND PLACE: Michigan State University duffel bag

• THIRD PLACE: Michigan State University picture frame

The contest winners will be selected by the homecoming committee the week following Homecoming, and winners will be announced on or before Wednesday, November 1.

The MSU homecoming committee, which consists of representatives from the MSU Alumni Association, East Lansing business owners and student leaders, selected “Uniquely Spartan” as this year’s homecoming theme in honor of Homecoming Grand and MSU graduate Marshal Tyler Oakley.

The week will consist of different activities hosted by university organizations, including the annual homecoming parade on Friday, Oct. 20, in downtown East Lansing. New this year, the parade audience will have the opportunity to text their vote for their favorite parade entry and judges will choose the winning entries. 

Share and discuss “MSU homecoming celebration begins with tradition of "Glowing Green"” on social media.