FINAL: MSU knocks off No. 7 Michigan 14-10

<p>The Spartans hoist the Paul Bunyan Trophy into the air while celebrating the game against Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017 at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 14-10.&nbsp;</p>

The Spartans hoist the Paul Bunyan Trophy into the air while celebrating the game against Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017 at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 14-10. 

Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

Through wind and rain, MSU knocked off No. 7 Michigan 14-10 to move to 4-1 on the season.

MSU struggled early on Saturday, but a fumble by the Wolverines in the first quarter completely rewrote the script.

The Spartans gained momentum, took a 7-3 lead on their second offensive drive of the game and never looked back, upsetting the Wolverines at a rain-soaked Michigan Stadium.

Quarterback Brian Lewerke was 11 of 22 for 94 yards and a touchdown, and Michigan quarterback John O'Korn was 16 of 35 for 198 yards and threw three interceptions.

TURNOVERS: MSU came into Ann Arbor with a minus-1 turnover margin, placing them 13th in the conference and 108th in the FBS in turnover margin.

The Spartans changed that storyline on Saturday, forcing the Wolverines to turn the ball over five times.

MSU recovered two fumbles in the first half and intercepted O’Korn three times in the second half. 

The Spartans had two fumbles in the win but were able to recover both. 

SACKS: Prior to Saturday’s matchup, MSU averaged 2.25 sacks a game, which was seventh best in the Big Ten and 52nd in the nation, however, the Spartans’ defense put the pressure on O’Korn Saturday, recording four sacks. 

The Spartans now have 13 sacks on the season, breaking their season total of 11 in 2016. 

LJ SCOTT: Junior running back LJ Scott never saw the field Saturday as Scott spent the entirety of Saturday’s game on the sidelines in full pads. 

Dantonio said after the game that Scott was just "nicked up" and could have played, but they didn't want to risk further injury. 

RUSHING ATTACK: The Wolverines entered Saturday No. 1 in the nation in run defense, allowing an average of 69.2 yards per game.

The Spartans, who were ranked 48th in nation in rushing offense through four games, recorded 158 yards on the ground.

Lewerke led the way for MSU with a team-high 61 yards rushing, while Madre London had 59 yards, and Gerald Holmes, who started Saturday, left the game due to an injury in the second quarter but would come back into the game late in the fourth quarter.

Share and discuss “FINAL: MSU knocks off No. 7 Michigan 14-10” on social media.