MSU Greeks host annual street carnival for Safe Halloween

From left to right, Lansing residents Nevaeh Evans, 6, and Roemen Evans, 10, trick-or-treat on Oct. 29, 2015 on MAC Avenue. Navaho and Roemen are participating in Safe Halloween, which is run by the City of East Lansing and allows children to trick-or-treat in a safe environment. Photo: Joshua Abraham
From left to right, Lansing residents Nevaeh Evans, 6, and Roemen Evans, 10, trick-or-treat on Oct. 29, 2015 on MAC Avenue. Navaho and Roemen are participating in Safe Halloween, which is run by the City of East Lansing and allows children to trick-or-treat in a safe environment. Photo: Joshua Abraham —

An East Lansing Halloween tradition returns this year as MSU Greeks host their annual Safe Halloween trick-or-treating event this Thursday, Oct. 26.

Safe Halloween is billed as a fun-filled evening that has been hosted by MSU’s fraternity and sorority chapters for more than 20 years. The event is full of Halloween activities and it is considered a ‘street carnival’ that is a safe alternative to traditional trick-or-treating for young children.

The Greek community looks forward to this philanthropy project each year as a way to facilitate positivity throughout their neighborhood, according to the Greek Life website. So far, 529 people have confirmed they are attending the event on Facebook.

The festivities will be held from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on M.A.C. Avenue and will feature trick-or-treating at the many Greek houses, face painting, costume contests, DJ serenades and much more. Local business and organizations will also participate by distributing free goodies.

M.A.C. Avenue between Linden Street and Burcham Drive will be closed to traffic for the duration of the event.

All fundraising during the event will benefit the East Lansing Public Libraries.

Share and discuss “MSU Greeks host annual street carnival for Safe Halloween” on social media.