FINAL: MSU defeats Indiana 17-9, becomes bowl eligible

<p>Senior linebacker Chris Frey (23) dives at Indiana quarterback Peyton Ramsey (3) during the game against Indiana on Oct. 21, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 17-9.</p>

Senior linebacker Chris Frey (23) dives at Indiana quarterback Peyton Ramsey (3) during the game against Indiana on Oct. 21, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers, 17-9.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

It was never pretty, the Spartans scored just three measly points in the first 45 minutes of play.

But in the crucial final quarter, with the game's balance hanging up in the air, MSU finished and came out on top 17-9 over the Indiana Hoosiers.

The defense again shined, allowing just 254 total yards. There were no takeaways this time around, but it was no matter.

Quarterback Brian Lewerke often struggled, a number of throws that were off its mark. But when the stakes were at its highest, the offense came through. The Spartans' last two drives — aside from kneeling the ball to seal the game — scored touchdowns, inching away from the Hoosiers.

Cody White emerges

The true freshman wideout had himself a career-game. He didn't start the game, but he was often on the field down the stretch.

All in all, the rookie totaled six receptions for 99 receiving yards, just shy of the century mark.

His 34-yard reception on MSU's penultimate drive had the Spartan Stadium crowd exploding.

Defense again carries Spartans

Whilst the offense struggled all game, the defense time and time again came off the field when necessary. The Hoosiers totaled 14 first downs, converting third downs at a 4-for-17 clip.

Indiana wideout Simmie Cobbs Jr. had seven receptions, but he had just 53 yards. Quarterback Peyton Ramsey never looked quite comfortable, throwing for only 158 yards. 

As the Hoosiers looked to tie the game on their final drive, their attempt was thwarted. The defense forced a turnover on downs and ultimately, the win.

The Spartans take on Northwestern next Saturday as they look to improve their 6-1 record, still a perfect 4-0 in the Big Ten. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “FINAL: MSU defeats Indiana 17-9, becomes bowl eligible” on social media.