Tuesday, March 19, 2024

MSU football to send players to provide relief in Houston in wake of Hurricane Harvey

Members of the MSU football team, along with Lansing mayor Virg Bernero and others are planning to go Houston, Texas to provide supplies and help out those in need who've been affected by Hurricane Harvey, according to a press release from Bernero's office.

The campaign is called #LansingStrong4TX, and will be setting out for Houston on the weekend of Sept. 15, MSU's lone bye week of the season.

The goal for the campaign is to raise $10,000 and donations can be made here. The campaign is also accepting items such as toiletries, cleaning supplies and diapers and infant needs.

Mark Dantonio said he plans to "send a contingent of MSU football players to Texas to help with unloading and distribution of the donated goods and other charitable assistance as may be needed," according to a press release.

Assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Mark Staten said 20 MSU football players have signed up to go to Houston to provide relief, according to a report by the Lansing State Journal.

"Whether they are all able to go or not, that's yet to be determined," Staten said to the Lansing State Journal.

Right guard Tyler Higby, wide receiver Darrell Stewart and wide receiver coach Terrence Samuel are all natives of the Houston area.

MSU is hosting Western Michigan University this Saturday at 3:30 p.m., and will play Notre Dame after their bye week and providing relief effort on Sept. 23 at 8:00 p.m.

Share and discuss “MSU football to send players to provide relief in Houston in wake of Hurricane Harvey” on social media.