Monday, March 18, 2024

FINAL: Defense shines as Spartans down Broncos, 28-14

<p>Redshirt sophomore quarterback Brian Lewerke (14) runs for a touchdown during the first quarter of the football game against Western Michigan on Sept. 9, 2017 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Broncos, 28-14.</p>

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Brian Lewerke (14) runs for a touchdown during the first quarter of the football game against Western Michigan on Sept. 9, 2017 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Broncos, 28-14.

The defense led MSU in its second home game of the year, as the Spartans beat Western Michigan University, 28-14, only allowing the Broncos to gain 195 total yards.

On Western’s first drive, Wassink threw an interception to true freshman Josiah Scott, his first pick of his collegiate career. Wassink would only throw the ball 11 for 26 for 79 yards.

The Spartans punted on that drive, but their next drive, quarterback Brian Lewerke would have a 61-yard rushing touchdown off an option play. Lewerke would rush for a second touchdown on a QB sneak halfway through the third quarter to give MSU a 21-7 lead against the Broncos.

Wideout Felton Davis III would also bring in four catches on six targets for 69 yards.

LEWERKE AND STEWART ON THE GROUND: Two of the three leading rushers for the Spartans on Saturday don’t play the running back, as Lewerke was second on the team in rushing yards with 81 yards and two rushing touchdowns. Darrell Stewart Jr. came in third with 52 rushing yards on two rushes, one of them going for 46 yards. 

SCOTT LEADS TEAM IN RUSHING: LJ Scott, Madre London and Gerald Holmes still split playing time on Saturday, with Scott leading the way with 18 rushes, while Holmes and London each had eight rushes. 

Scott led all MSU running backs in rushing yards with 86 yards and a touchdown. Scott would also bring in three catches for 25 yards, with one of those receptions turning into a touchdown.

LINEBACKERS STEP UP: Linebackers Chris Frey, Joe Bachie and Andrew Dowell combined for 24 tackles and 1.5 sacks, including a shoestring sack by Dowell deep in Bronco territory.

DISRUPTING THE BACKFIELD: The Spartans defense recorded four sacks and eight tackles for loss on the day. The four sacks on the day make it five for the whole season, which is almost half of the amount of sacks the Spartans defense had last season with 11.

Share and discuss “FINAL: Defense shines as Spartans down Broncos, 28-14” on social media.