Former Spartans named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society

Former MSU tight end Josiah Price answers questions from the press after his Pro Day performance on March 22, 2017 at Spartan Stadium. Pro Day is an event where Spartans looking to play in the NFL have a chance to show off their skills.
Former MSU tight end Josiah Price answers questions from the press after his Pro Day performance on March 22, 2017 at Spartan Stadium. Pro Day is an event where Spartans looking to play in the NFL have a chance to show off their skills. —
Photo by Jon Famurewa | and Jon Famurewa The State News

Four MSU graduate football players were named to the 2017 National Football Foundation Hampshire Honor Society.

The NFF Hampshire Society is comprised of college football players from all divisions of play who maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better throughout their college career. A total of 1,089 players from 297 schools qualified for membership in the society’s 11 years, both new single-year records in the history of the program.

Another qualification is starting or being a significant contributor in one’s last year of eligibility — or a senior who has declared for the NFL Draft — at an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision, Football Championship Subdivision, Division II, Division III or an NAIA college or university. Also, each athlete must meet all NCAA or NAIA-mandated progress towards degree requirements.

Here are the four MSU recipients:

Tyler O’Connor | QB

MSU’s former quarterback earned both his undergraduate, supply chain management, and graduate degree, marketing research, at MSU. He was a four-year letter-winner and completed 188-of-316 passes for 2,344 yards in 25 career games, 23 as a quarterback and two as a punter, 10 of which he started. He threw for 20 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. This past season O’Connor was voted as a team captain.

Josiah Price | TE

Price received his bachelor's degree in December 2016 for hospitality business. He was a four-year letterwinner who played in 51 career games wearing green and white and started in 25 of them. Price was known for his ability to catch in the red-zone, scoring 21 touchdowns, fourth all-time, on 104 receptions. In total he collected 1,238 receiving yards. He ranks third all-time in receptions and receiving yards out of MSU tight ends.

Benny McGowan | OL

McGowan graduated in May 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice. Now, the three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree is pursuing a master’s degree in the same subject. He is a three-year letterwinner who played in 38 career games, 17 as a starter. McGowan has moved around the offensive line, starting at center, left guard and right guard.

Matt Macksood | WR

Macksood graduated last summer with a bachelor's degree in hospitality business. Now he is currently pursuing a master’s degree in human resources and labor relations. He is a four-year letterwinner who played in 45 career games as a wide receiver and on special teams. During his redshirt campaign in 2013, Macksood blocked a punt against Notre Dame.

These four players now raise the total number of MSU athletes to receive this award to 20. Other notable Spartans to be named to the NFF Hampshire Honor Society are Kirk Cousins, Drew Stanton, Max Bullough and Mike Sadler. 

Share and discuss “Former Spartans named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society” on social media.