Lambda Chi Alpha planning vigil for MSU student who died in windstorm

Update: March 23 at 10:30 a.m.

The candlelight vigil will be held at 7 p.m. on March 23 at the Rock on Farm Lane. Anyone is invited to light a candle or to speak about Max or Maggie. Any money collected will go to the Maxwell Muessig Memorial Scholarship Fund. For more information on the vigil, visit the Facebook event page

A candlelight vigil is being planned in remembrance of an MSU student who died during spring break. Political science and economics sophomore Max Muessig, 20, and girlfriend Maggie Potter, 23, of Jamestown, Rhode Island, were killed March 8 when a tree fell on their car because of heavy winds.

The vigil, which does not yet have a set date or time, is being planned by MSU's chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha, of which Muessig was a member, MSU's Interfraternity Council and another MSU fraternity house, president of MSU's chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha Daniel Morehouse said. The candlelight vigil for Muessig is still in early planning stages. 

The fatal accident happened at 4:24 p.m. in Clare County, according to Michigan State police. Muessig was in the driver's seat and Potter was in the passenger's seat on M-115 when a tree was blown down onto the roof of the car, killing the couple instantly.

Michigan State Trooper Don Dutcher, who looked at the cause of the crash and what happened, described the windstorm that caused the accident as a "perfect storm."

"Everything just kind of lined up, you know, just right for this tree to fall over and it just happened to fall right on the vehicle at that exact moment that it was coming down," Dutcher said. "It's a horrible tragedy."

The crash is still technically under investigation as not all of the reports have been completed yet. Dutcher said all that remains before closing the investigation is completing the documentation.

Muessig, a native of Midland, Mich., went to school at the University of Vermont but transferred to MSU this fall.  Morehouse said he and Muessig's fraternity brothers will do whatever they can to support the family.

"Max was the kind of guy—he just lived life in the right way and he lived his life to the fullest. It's an absolute tragedy what happened," Morehouse said. "He loved Maggie. He loved Maggie a lot. It was heartbreaking. He was such a good guy."

Morehouse said there is not much the chapter can do besides be there for each other and for Muessig's family. He said the fraternity do what they can to help, whether it's through making a donation to the scholarship fund or helping with the funeral, and they might name a room in the fraternity house after Muessig.

"What it comes down to is, specifically the guys who were in his class who knew him best, they're just trying to remember the good times and just trying to get through it," Morehouse said. "And everybody copes in their own way, but we're brotherhood, and so everyone is there for each other."

MSU has also provided resources to support Muessig's family and friends, MSU spokesperson Jason Cody said in an emailed statement.

“The thoughts and prayers of the MSU community are with Muessig’s family and friends," Cody wrote. "MSU’s Office of Student Affairs and Services has reached out to the family to provide support."

Cody also said members of the MSU community who are personally affected by the news of Muessig's death could access resources through the MSU Counseling Center.

Share and discuss “Lambda Chi Alpha planning vigil for MSU student who died in windstorm” on social media.