Big Ten Tournament: Indiana unloads from 3-point land to beat Iowa

Junior guard James Blackmon Jr. (1) shoots the ball in the second half of the game against Iowa during the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 9, 2017 at Verizon Center in Washington D.C.
Junior guard James Blackmon Jr. (1) shoots the ball in the second half of the game against Iowa during the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 9, 2017 at Verizon Center in Washington D.C. —

WASHINGTON, D.C. — In game No. 5 of the Big Ten Tournament, the Indiana Hoosiers defeated the Iowa Hawkeyes, 95-71.

Indiana will face the No. 2 seed Wisconsin at 6:30 on Big Ten Network tomorrow. 

Led by their leading scorer, James Blackmon Jr., the Hoosier had four players in double figures. Blackmon with 23 points, Devonte Green with 10, De'Ron Davis with 15 and Thomas Bryant with 11.

The Hoosiers ran Iowa out of the gym, scoring 95 points as a team, 36 of which came from beyond the arc. Of their 12 3-point baskets, the Hoosiers shot 6-8 from three in the second half. 

Iowa's Jordan Bohannon played well with 24 points and 10 assists. Peter Jok, normally the Iowa go-to was held to only 9 points. Their bench production was composed of only Cordell Pemsl, who scored 14 of the team's 17 bench points. 

The Hoosiers have ridden a roller coaster this season. They have big wins over then-No. 3 Kansas and then-No. 3 North Carolina however, they have bad losses to teams like: Indiana-Purdue at Fort Wayne.

When they were trending upward, head coach Tom Crean and his team were struck back down with an injury to OG Anunoby. Their leading scorer, James Blackmon Jr., missed some games as well. Their worst stretch of basketball this season was a 10 game span, where they only won two games. 

Iowa has been as streaky as it gets. Following a three-game losing streak, they would go on to win three straight. After those wins, they lost three straight again. But to close the regular season, the Hawkeyes were winners of their final four games. 

Jok led the Big Ten in scoring this season with 20.2 points per game an accolade which helped him earn a spot on the First Team All-Big Ten. 

Game Performers:

Indiana (18-14 overall, 8-11)

Points - Blackmon (23)

Rebounds - Newkirk and Morgan (8)

Assists - Blackmon and Johnson (4)

Iowa (18-14 overall, 10-9)

Points - Bohannon (24)

Rebounds - Pemsl (10)

Assists - Bohannon (10)

Share and discuss “Big Ten Tournament: Indiana unloads from 3-point land to beat Iowa” on social media.