Judge rules Nassar case will go to trial

From left to right, defense attorney Shannon Smith, former MSU employee Larry Nassar and defense attorney Matthew Newbury listen to 55th District Court Judge Donald L. Allen Jr. speak before a pretrial hearing begins on Feb. 17, 2017 at 55th District Court in Mason, Mich. The hearing occurred as a result of former MSU employee Larry Nassar's alleged sexual abuse.
From left to right, defense attorney Shannon Smith, former MSU employee Larry Nassar and defense attorney Matthew Newbury listen to 55th District Court Judge Donald L. Allen Jr. speak before a pretrial hearing begins on Feb. 17, 2017 at 55th District Court in Mason, Mich. The hearing occurred as a result of former MSU employee Larry Nassar's alleged sexual abuse. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

After a preliminary examination, Judge Donald Allen, Jr. has decided that People of the State of Michigan v. Lawrence Gerard Nassar will move forward to trial.

The examination took place at the 55th District Court in Mason, Mich.

Nassar, a former MSU employee, is accused of sexually abusing his patients and other young women with whom he had contact.

Before the examination began, the prosecution and defense agreed to switch benches to put more distance between Nassar and his alleged victim.

Additionally, the prosecution requested the courtroom be closed to the media and the public during testimony from the alleged victim to protect her privacy. Allen did not grant the request, but acknowledged there was a large media presence.

"I'm getting a little nervous myself," he said, pointing to the cameras.

Allen ordered the media not to publish the name of the alleged victim, or any other information that could be used to identify her.

The alleged victim's parents were friends with the Nassar family, and the two families spent time together about once a week. During her testimony, the alleged victim accused Nassar of exposing himself to her and digitally penetrating her about once a week for several years, beginning when she was six years old.

The alleged victim says she was too young to understand what was happening at the time.

"I didn't really know what to think of it," she said. "He was an adult in my life."

She didn't realize what had happened until a friend told her about having been sexually abused, according to her testimony.

"Oh, shit," she said. "That happened to me."

The alleged victim described having a tumultuous relationship with her father. When she told him about Nassar's alleged sexual abuse, he thought she was lying and sent her to therapy with retired MSU professor of clinical psychology Gary Stollak. 

Stollak was called as a witness by the defense, and testified that after his 2010 retirement, all of his records "were gotten rid of." He said had no memory of this case.

The alleged victim testified that she knew she had to come forward when she saw media coverage of allegations against Nassar.

"I always said I would support anyone who came out," she said. "I always said I would support them."

Allen found the alleged victim credible, and decided the case will go to trial. Nassar immediately waived arraignment.

Attorneys for the prosecution and defense declined to comment.

Share and discuss “Judge rules Nassar case will go to trial” on social media.