Tuesday, May 14, 2024

MSU football's Demetrius Cooper charged with misdemeanor

Junior defensive end Demetrius Cooper (98) responds to a question from the media during Media Day on Aug. 8, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. Media Day allowed for the media to converse with the team's coaches and players.

MSU football defensive end Demetrius Cooper was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery after allegedly spitting in the face of an East Lansing Parking and Code Enforcement, or P.A.C.E. officer in late October, according to court documents and police reports obtained by The Detroit News.

The Detroit News reported that the incident occurred at approximately 8:50 p.m. on Oct. 30, 2016. 

A P.A.C.E. officer said he saw a car illegally parked outside of Noodles and Company in East Lansing, where he proceeded to issue a citation for impeding traffic. 

The officer was then confronted by Cooper after the 6-foot-5 defensive end noticed he was being cited a ticket.

P.A.C.E. officer David Dalen discussed the citation with Cooper, who then went back into the East Lansing restaurant. Dalen notified Cooper that he could be issued another citation if his Chevrolet Impala remained parked illegally.

According to The Detroit News, this is when the stories from both parties began to differ.

“I’m going to spit in your face," Dalen claimed Cooper said, according to the article. "I should spit on you right now."

It was at that time when police said Cooper spat on Dalen despite Cooper’s statement that says otherwise.

Cooper listed in the police report that he was frustrated and confused why he could receive another citation and added that he did tell the officer he should spit on him, but he decided not to, according to The Detroit News.

Upon investigation, The Detroit News reported that a warrant was issued for Cooper's arrest and it was executed — without incident — on Nov. 30. Cooper was then posted for $500 bond.

The 253 pound fifth-year defensive end was scheduled to be in court on Thursday for a pretrial hearing, according to The Detroit News.

East Lansing Police Department police records staff member Jennifer Tracy did not respond to The State News' request for the incident record nor for comment. 

After redshirting his freshman year, Cooper has registered 55 total tackles, 8.5 sacks, 14.5 tackles for loss, one pass defended, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in 38 career games. 

Share and discuss “MSU football's Demetrius Cooper charged with misdemeanor” on social media.