Lambda Chi Alpha MSU chapter suspended, placed under limited operations

<p>MSU's Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha house at 131 Bogue St. on Feb. 3, 2017.</p>

MSU's Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha house at 131 Bogue St. on Feb. 3, 2017.

Update February 8, 2:15 p.m.:

MSU spokesperson Jason Cody confirmed the university has been in contact with Lambda Chi Alpha’s national headquarters regarding the investigation of MSU’s Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter.

“We are in contact with the national chapter regarding the actions they took and we are sharing information when appropriate,” Cody said. “We’re open to having more conversations with them.”

Regarding housing for the students in the fraternity house, should students be forced to leave the fraternity house Cody said the university wouldn’t offer alternative housing for off-campus students as the university doesn’t have control over off-campus housing assignments.

“If in the course of a semester there was a student who needed to secure housing, then they could approach our RHS,” Cody said. “I’m sure if there was something open we would be able to do some sort of limiting contract, but it’s nothing that we would offer — someone would have to reach out to us if they needed housing.”

MSU's Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha has been placed on limited operations by Lambda Chi Alpha Inc. and has been suspended by MSU's Interfraternity Council. The Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter is currently under investigation in Lambda Chi Alpha's headquarters.

Reasons for the investigation are currently unknown. Tad Lichtenauer, director of communications for Lambda Chi Alpha Inc., said they were first made aware of the alleged incidents by MSU and the decision to place the chapter under limited operations came as of Thursday. 

"There were multiple incidents that we were made aware of," Lichtenauer said. "The incidents could violate our laws and policies, so we have to investigate it."

Until the investigation is completed, MSU's chapter will stay under "limited operations," a temporary cease and desist that restricts all formal activities. Until further notice, the chapter cannot continue operating.

"Once the investigation is completed, you know, depending on what's found out, then the repercussions will meet the—if they're found guilty of something, then obviously they'll be—something will come up as a result of that," Lichtenauer said.

In 2011, MSU's chapter was awarded Chapter of the Year, Best Member Education program and the President of the Year, according to MSU's Greek Life page. Lambda Chi Alpha is also the third largest fraternity nationally.

The MSU Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council released a statement Wednesday suspending the chapter. Within the statement, it listed that any interaction, including social events, with Lambda Chi Alpha is prohibited for the time being. It also said interaction with a suspended chapter is strictly against all bylaws and policy.

"MSU has been informed by the Director of Chapter Services for Lambda Chi Alpha that the Gamma-Omicron Zeta chapter at MSU 'is placed under limited operations,'" MSU spokesman Jason Cody said via email. "Additionally, MSU’s Interfraternity Council has suspended the chapter."

Share and discuss “Lambda Chi Alpha MSU chapter suspended, placed under limited operations” on social media.