Former Spartan Morten Andersen becomes second kicker elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame

The student section cheers during the game against Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23.
The student section cheers during the game against Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

After a five-year wait, former MSU kicker Morten Andersen will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. 

Andersen is the second kicker to ever earn a spot in Canton and will join LaDanian Tomlinson, Terrell Davis, Kurt Warner, Kenny Easley and current Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones as the Class of 2017. 

Originally from Copenhagen, Denmark, Andersen came to MSU from Ben Davis high school in Indianapolis and played with the Spartans in 44 games from 1978-81 and named a First-team All-American in 1981. In his four seasons at MSU, Andersen made 126-of-130 extra point attempts and 45 field goals on 72 attempts for a combined total of 261 points at the collegiate level. Andersen was inducted into the MSU Athletics Hall of Fame in 2011.

Andersen played in the National Football League from 1982-2007, most notably with the New Orleans Saints and the Atlanta Falcons and is the all-time leading scorer in the NFL with 2,544 points. Andersen was also named to seven Pro Bowls, a six-time All-Pro and the NFL All-Decade Team for the 1980s and 1990s.

Andersen, who also holds the all-time record in field goals made with 565 and games played with 382, will join the company of kicker Jan Stenerud and punter Ray Guy as the only specialists in the Hall of Fame.

Share and discuss “Former Spartan Morten Andersen becomes second kicker elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame” on social media.