Three former Spartans playing in NFLPA Collegiate Bowl

Senior wide receiver R.J. Shelton (12) catches a pass during the game against Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23.

This Saturday, former MSU football players — linebacker Riley Bullough, tight end Jamal Lyles and wide receiver R.J. Shelton — will have the opportunity to showcase their talents in the sixth annual National Football League Players Association Collegiate Bowl.

As a junior in 2015, Bullough led MSU with a career-high 106 tackles as MSU won the Big Ten title and appeared in the College Football Playoff.

Bullough, a four-year letterwinner and captain his senior season, finished his collegiate career with 214 tackles and is the fourth member of the Bullough family to register 200 tackles.

The Traverse City, Mich. native logged 18 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, four interceptions, three fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles in 50 career games.

Because of a shoulder injury, Bullough played in just nine games his senior season and recorded 76 total tackles. 

Bullough graduated with a bachelor’s degree in media and information in December 2016.

A four-year letterwinner from Beaver Dam, Wis., Shelton caught 116 passes for 1,471 yards along with recording 11 reception touchdowns. Shelton also added four rushing and one kick return touchdown.

The wide out concluded his career in East Lansing No. 2 among MSU’s all-time leaders in kick return yards with 1,855, No. 2 in kick return yards with 80, No. 13 in all-purpose yards with 3,900, tied for No. 17 in receptions with 116 and tied for No. 18 in touchdown catches with 11.

He also managed to register 549 rushing yards and four touchdowns on 84 career carries.

Lyles recorded 30 catches for 410 yards and two touchdowns in 52 career games, and had10 starts in his four-year letterwinner career.

In his senior season, Lyles played in 10 games registering career-highs in receptions with 12 and receiving yards with 145 yards.

The 6-foot-3 tight end graduated in May 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in interdisciplinary studies in social science - human capital and society.

Lyles and Shelton will play for the National team as Bullough will play for the American team. The game is slated to kick off at 4 p.m. at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif. It can be viewed on Fox Sports 1. 

Share and discuss “Three former Spartans playing in NFLPA Collegiate Bowl” on social media.