Additional lawsuit filed against Nassar by former USA Women's gymnast

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette speaks to press regarding the arrest and investigation of ex-MSU faculty member Larry Nassar on Nov. 22, 2016 in G. Mennen Williams Building at 525 W. Ottawa St. in Lansing.
Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette speaks to press regarding the arrest and investigation of ex-MSU faculty member Larry Nassar on Nov. 22, 2016 in G. Mennen Williams Building at 525 W. Ottawa St. in Lansing. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

Another lawsuit has been filed against former MSU employee Larry Nassar, this time by a former U.S. women’s national gymnastics team member.

The lawsuit, filed on Jan. 24, names USA Gymnastics, Olympic coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi and multiple USA Gymnastics coaches, as well as Nassar, as defendants, according to a story from the Orange County Register.

One of the coaches, Don Peters, allegedly sexually abused the former gymnast during the same time period in which she was allegedly abused by Nassar, her doctor.

Much of the abuse took place during training camps held at a remote Texas ranch owned by Bela and Martha Karolyi, according to the lawsuit.

Peters was banned from gymnastics for life in November 2011 after multiple accusations of sexual abuse came to light, though an investigation by the Orange County Register shows that he might have continued his involvement with gymnastics schools until at least 2015.

These new allegations come just weeks after Lansing gymnastics club Twistars and its owner, John Geddert, were named as a defendant in a new lawsuit filed in federal court in Grand Rapids.

Geddert is accused of having knowledge of — and failing to report — sexual abuse of minors perpetrated by Nassar.

Since September 2016, Nassar has been named as a defendant in 22 sexual abuse lawsuits. His federal trial begins on Feb. 21.

Share and discuss “Additional lawsuit filed against Nassar by former USA Women's gymnast ” on social media.