Hate letter sent to Islamic Society of Greater Lansing

The Islamic Society of Greater Lansing received a hate letter that has been sent to mosques across the United States. The letter arrived via mail on Tuesday, Sohail Chaudhry, an Imam at the Islamic Society of Greater Lansing, said.

The letters are identical and they are post marked from Los Angeles, according to an Associated Press article. The letter refers to President-elect Donald Trump as the "new sheriff in town." It also said that "he's going to cleanse America and make it shine again."

“Really, this was the odd one out," Chaudhry said. "We haven’t received any other letters like this.”

Chaudhry said the letter repeats the fear the Islamic community is currently facing.

“We are saddened by this kind of a response," Chaudhry said. "This just is going to reaffirm or increase the level of fear that people in the community have."

However, the mosque has also received many letters of encouragement as well.

"We have received so many messages of love and support and letters and emails," Chaudhry said.

The Islamic Society of Greater Lansing wants to show people that Islam is not a hateful religion, Chaudhry said.

“These letters are a sign of the ignorance which prevails in the hearts and minds of people and we welcome all people to come to our center and see what Islam and Muslims are all about," Chaudhry said. "We just ask such individuals who might have these kinds of hateful thoughts to reach out to us and we would be very welcoming and willing to have a discussion and dialogue."

Share and discuss “Hate letter sent to Islamic Society of Greater Lansing” on social media.