Sunday, September 22, 2024

Find out what will be on your ballot this election

Communication senior Kim Nguyen walks by a voting sign on March 8, 2016 on the steps of the MSU Union. Nguyen voted earlier today in the Michigan presidential primary election.

Want to know exactly what the ballot will look like before arriving at the polls? Go to The Michigan Voter Information Center website to see what elections are on the ticket and who is running.

To find a sample ballot, the website requires a name, date of birth and ZIP code, or a driver’s license number and date of birth. On top of giving a sample ballot unique to the precinct, the website will also check to make sure the person who entered their information is registered, will provide the individual’s polling location and will track an absentee ballot, if applicable.

Michigan Ballot for Ingham County by The State News on Scribd

Another option to find out what the ballot will look like without using any personal information is to go to the view ballots tab on the Voter Information website and enter the county name, jurisdiction and precinct number.

One important thing to keep in mind is that people don’t have to vote in every election. If students only want to vote for the presidential election, their vote will be counted for that.

“I also hear students say they don’t feel informed enough to make these kinds of decisions," East Lansing City Clerk Marie Wicks said. "First of all, I think students probably know more than they think. But even if you are not, go on the internet, take a few minutes and do some research, but make the effort.”

One way to learn more about the candidates on the ballot is to go to the sample ballots on the Voter Information website. There are links to the candidates' websites on some of these sample ballots. Some other resources include the website vote411.org, which provides non-partisan information on the candidates, msuvote.msu.edu, which includes information and links for MSU students and the East Lansing City Clerk office, which is responsible for the administration of elections.

For those voting in East Lansing, the ticket includes: the presidential election, 8th Congressional District election, 69th District state legislature election, State Board of Education election, elections for the regent of University of Michigan, MSU Board of Trustees and governor of Wayne State University, elections for the justice of the Supreme Court and judge of the Court of Appeals, Circuit Court and District Court.

It also includes Ingham County elections for the prosecuting attorney, sheriff, clerk, treasurer, register of deeds, drain commissioner, county commissioner, a section for the local school boards and a millage renewal for the Ingham County Potter Park Zoo.

Wicks said it is important for students to be informed and to go out and vote.

“Bernie (Sanders) was able to get the millennials mobilized," Wicks said. "You can see what a huge impact that really had. Millennials have a lot of power, and so you need to get out there and vote.”

Share and discuss “Find out what will be on your ballot this election ” on social media.