Sophomore cornerback Vayante Copeland sustains season-ending injury

Sophomore defensive back Vayante Copeland (13) attempts to tackle Northwestern running back Justin Jackson (21) during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium.  The Spartans were defeated by the Wildcats, 54-40.
Sophomore defensive back Vayante Copeland (13) attempts to tackle Northwestern running back Justin Jackson (21) during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wildcats, 54-40. —
Photo by Victor DiRita | and Victor DiRita The State News

According to the Detroit Free Press, MSU sophomore cornerback Vayante Copeland suffered a broken foot and will be sidelined for the rest of the season, Mark Dantonio told reporters during his weekly teleconference.

Copeland incurred the injury during Tuesday practice, making it the second season-ending injury for him in as many seasons.

Last season, he suffered a broken bone is his neck against Oregon in week two of the 2015 season.

Copeland did not travel to Illinois this week because of the injury and was not available against Maryland because of a hampered hip flexor, the Free Press reported.

The cornerback was considered a bright spot for the Spartans, as his play drew comparisons to former All-American cornerback Darqueze Dennard from his teammates.

The highly touted cornerback recorded 36 tackles, two pass breakups and one interception this season. 

Share and discuss “Sophomore cornerback Vayante Copeland sustains season-ending injury” on social media.