Incumbent Sam Singh wins third consecutive 69th District race

Democratic candidate for Michigan State Representative Sam Singh, left, views voting results during an election watch party on Nov. 8, 2016 in Pizza House at 4790 S. Hagadorn Rd.
Democratic candidate for Michigan State Representative Sam Singh, left, views voting results during an election watch party on Nov. 8, 2016 in Pizza House at 4790 S. Hagadorn Rd. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

Update: Final results are in as of 10 a.m., Sam Singh (D-East Lansing) won with 68.22 percent of the vote over opponent George Nastas III, who had 31.56 percent of the vote.

Incumbent Sam Singh (D-East Lansing) won the 69th District State House of Representatives. The district encompasses East Lansing, Haslett, Okemos, Williamstown Township and Locke Township in Ingham County.

Singh took a comfortable lead in the race. At 12:31 a.m. Wednesday with 89.47 percent of precincts reporting, Singh had 69.97 percent of the vote.

Singh will now serve his third term in the State House of Representatives after defeating challenger George Nastas III, a retired Department of Defense analyst and professor of marketing at MSU and University of Michigan-Flint.

One of Singh’s top priorities for his final term is to continue to work on higher education budget reform. 

He said when he came into office four years ago, Gov. Rick Snyder cut the higher education budget and since then he and the higher education committee have worked to increase the budget. Singh said he wants to include direct student aid in the state’s budget.

“When the governor first came on board, he cut all public universities and a number of the scholarship programs by 15 percent,” Singh said in a previous State News article. “It’s time to catch up and make sure all institutions and all programs are back to their pre-2011 level, and we have to now catch up for probably over a decade of underinvestment that occurred when we were in more difficult times."

Singh could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

Share and discuss “Incumbent Sam Singh wins third consecutive 69th District race” on social media.