Incumbent Mike Bishop wins 8th Congressional District race

Lansing resident Emma Henry shows a family, including a first time voter, how to fill out a ballot on Nov. 8, 2016 in Hannah Community Center. Henry said it was her first time as an election official.
Lansing resident Emma Henry shows a family, including a first time voter, how to fill out a ballot on Nov. 8, 2016 in Hannah Community Center. Henry said it was her first time as an election official. —
Photo by Emilia McConnell | The State News

Update: With 100 percent of the votes in as of 12:35 p.m. on Wednesday, Mike Bishop (R) won with 56 percent of the vote over opponents Suzanna Shkreli (D), who had 39.2 percent, Jeff Wood (L), 2.6 percent, Maria Green (G), 1.5 percent and Jeremy Burgess (NL), 0.6 percent.

Mike Bishop (R) has won the election for the 8th District in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The district includes all of Ingham and Livingston counties and northern Oakland County. MSU and Oakland University are both part of the district.

Incumbent Rep. Bishop currently serves on the House Judiciary Committee and the House Education and Workforce Committee.

Bishop wants to reduce federal control over educational programs and recently co-sponsored a bill to strengthen career and technical education.

Bishop also hopes to decrease loan default rates to support college and university students.

Bishop was endorsed by the Police Officers Association of Michigan in May, and received an A/A+ rating from the National Rifle Association, or NRA, according to his campaign website.

Bishop’s biggest challenger was Suzanna Shkreli, a Democratic prosecutor in the Child Protection Unit. She was endorsed by President Barack Obama at the end of October.

National Republican Chairman Greg Walden released a statement on Bishop's win.

“Congratulations to Mike Bishop on his victory in Michigan’s 8th Congressional District," Walden said in the statement. "Voters have noticed his hard work in Congress, fighting to ensure all students have access to a quality education and for a smaller, more effective government. I look forward to working with Mike again in Congress in 2017.”

Bishop could not be reached for comment.

Share and discuss “Incumbent Mike Bishop wins 8th Congressional District race” on social media.