FINAL: Spartans fall to 0-2 with loss to No. 2 Kentucky

Freshman guard Cassius Winston (5) dribbles down the court during the basketball game against Northwood on Oct. 27, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Timberwolves, 93-69.
Freshman guard Cassius Winston (5) dribbles down the court during the basketball game against Northwood on Oct. 27, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Timberwolves, 93-69. —
Photo by Victor DiRita | and Victor DiRita The State News

The Spartans looked to rebound against No. 2 Kentucky after a last-second coast-to-coast layup cost MSU their first win Friday against then-No. 10 Arizona, but fell to Kentucky, 69-48, in the Champions Classic at Madison Square Garden and are now 0-2 to start the regular season.

MSU was able to open scoring with a layup by redshirt-sophomore forward Kenny Goins, and made it a 7-4 game with field goals from fifth-year senior guard Eron Harris and freshman guard Josh Langford. 

Kentucky, however, converted back-to-back 3-pointers and to take a 10-7 lead. Both parties went back-and-forth and a 3-point field goal by sophomore guard Matt McQuaid tied the game 12-12, but UK’s Malik Monk responded with a three of his own and the Wildcats would hold the lead the rest of the way.

The Spartans made closed in on Kentucky’s 12-point lead with a dunk from Goins, but Kentucky regained their 12-point lead going into the half by a score of 34-26.

It remained to be Kentucky’s game in the second half. MSU’s attempts to chip away at Kentucky’s lead fell short and the Wildcats continued to blow the game open. Monk, along with sophomore guard Isaiah Briscoe and freshman guard De’Aaron Fox combined for 56 points. Monk finished the game having converted 8-of-17 from the field, including 7-of-12 shots from behind the arc for 23 points. Briscoe finished with 21 points and Fox finished with 12.

As a team, Kentucky made 38.3 percent of all field goal shots, 31.8 percent of 3-point shots and went 16-of-20 from the free throw line. Kentucky was able to steal the ball nine times and blocked seven of MSU’s shots.

The Spartans, on the other hand, didn't have a single player finish with double-digit point totals. Goins led the team with nine points and finished the game with seven rebounds and three blocks. Freshman forward Miles Bridges was limited to six points and turned the ball over nine times, but finished with a team-high 12 rebounds. MSU finished shooting 32.3 percent from the field, 5-for-26 from three, 3-for-9 from the free throw line, 20 turnovers and 20 fouls.

The Spartans will return home to East Lansing for a two-game homestand and play Mississippi Valley State on Nov. 18, followed by Florida Gulf Coast on Nov. 20. Tipoff for Thursday’s game is scheduled for 7 p.m. and will be televised on BTNPlus, according to MSU Athletic Communications.

Share and discuss “FINAL: Spartans fall to 0-2 with loss to No. 2 Kentucky” on social media.