CRU organized protest for Trump Jr. speech, make voices heard

Agribusiness junior Alondra Alvizo leads a protest outside a rally for Donald Trump on Nov. 2, 2016 at the Union. The event was organized by the latino student organization CRU.
Agribusiness junior Alondra Alvizo leads a protest outside a rally for Donald Trump on Nov. 2, 2016 at the Union. The event was organized by the latino student organization CRU. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

Students from the Culturas de las Razas Unidas, or CRU, organized a protest to oppose Donald Trump Jr.’s visit to MSU and his father, Donald Trump's, stances. The protest included students and local residents.

The protest was a non-violent, non-partisan protest that grew increasingly stronger during the course of the event as participants grew louder and chanted. Chants included “Love, not hate,” “Black Lives Matter” and “We will not be silenced” among many others.

“We are out here trying to get all our communities to stand together in solidarity to fight against racist rhetoric,” CRU president Graciela Sanchez said. “It is not welcoming and non-inclusive on this campus and we just don’t want it here.”

Protesters held signs that read, “Dump Trump,” “MSU supports racism,” and “Immigrants make America great” in a sea of others. Protesters also held flags, wore Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton buttons and clothing that showed their support for minority groups.

Students outside of CRU also participated in the protest. Criminal justice sophomore Chrissy Howard participated in order to voice her opinions and show she’s concerned about the treatment of minorities, she said.

“I came to support the Latinx, the Chicanx, the blacks, the silenced,” Howard said. “It’s unfair how they feel unsafe now because a certain group decided to invite Trump to our campus.”

Judith Bridger from the Greater Lansing Network Against War and Injustice also participated in the protest.

“Donald Trump Jr. is very much an anti-LGBT, anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant,” she said. “We’re happy to participate with the MSU students because it brings a new energy to a group of older people who are all 60 and 70 years old.”

Trump supporters had a presence at the protest. Some of these supporters chanted “Build the wall” as the protesters chanted back, “Build bridges, not walls.” Trump supporters also took pictures in front of the protest line. 

Packaging sophomore Luke Emery, a Trump supporter, was present at the event.

“I thought MSU was better than this," Emery said. "I thought, you know, we could live in a place where we could have differing opinions and live in harmony. I can respect that you like Hillary, and I completely disagree with you, but for some reason if I like Trump, that makes me a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, a bigot, you name it. I don’t like being name called because I support someone different than you.”

Lansing resident Philip Garlitz, who saw Donald Trump Jr. speak, said the protesters could be heard from inside the ballroom but it had no effect on the campaigning.

Throughout the protest, arguments broke out between Trump supporters and protesters, but the protest remained non-violent.

The protest ended outside when the Trump car and trailer pulled out of the Union drive with cheers from the protesters.

“I'm impressed with our student body, I really, really am,” prelaw freshman Liv Page said. “I think these young people do realize that what they're saying means something and they are being heard.”

Share and discuss “CRU organized protest for Trump Jr. speech, make voices heard” on social media.