Democrat Carol Siemon wins Ingham County Prosecuting Attorney race

Democratic prosecutor candidate Carol Siemon, right, discusses voting results with guests during an election watch party on Nov. 8, 2016 in Okemos, Mich.
Democratic prosecutor candidate Carol Siemon, right, discusses voting results with guests during an election watch party on Nov. 8, 2016 in Okemos, Mich. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

Update: With 100 percent of the votes in at 10:20 a.m., Carol Siemon (D) has won with 58.53 percent of the vote over opponent Billie Jo O'Berry (R), who had 41.27 percent of the vote.

As of 2:38 a.m., Democratic candidate Carol Siemon has 58.50 percent of the vote in the Ingham County Prosecuting Attorney race. The State News predicts Siemon will win this election over opponent Republican Billie Jo O'Berry.

The last time the position was on the ballot was 19 years ago. After former prosecuting attorney Stuart Dunnings III pleaded guilty to 15 prostitution-related crimes and resigned, Siemon is now tasked with rebuilding the faith and trust of the public in the Prosecuting Attorney's Office.

Siemon ran on a platform of increasing transparency in the Prosecutor's Office, tackling national issues, such as gun control and sexual assault at the local level and combating heroin and opioid drug use in the county, she told The State News.

Her opponent, O'Berry, ran on a platform of increasing transparency in the Prosecutor's Office, developing more resources for victims and increasing communication and contact between victims, the court and the public, she told The State News.

"I feel excited about the win, I feel excited about taking on the challenge, having been elected the first woman prosecutor and trying to be responsive to the full community," Siemon said following her win. "I think what happened in the other races really highlights the need to bridge gaps and really listen to the voices of everybody and see how we can address the needs of the entire community while moving forward on creating progressive changes to the criminal justice system."

Before being elected as the Ingham County prosecuting attorney, Siemon's experiences included working as a lawyer for 35 years, as an assistant prosecutor for 11 years and as a division head in the Prosecutor's Office among many other experiences. Now elected as the Ingham County Prosecutor, Siemon can put this experience to work.

Share and discuss “Democrat Carol Siemon wins Ingham County Prosecuting Attorney race” on social media.