Freshman wide receiver Donnie Corley named to the Big Ten All-Big Ten Freshman team

Freshman cornerback Donnie Corley (29) tackles Rutgers tight end Matt Flanagan (8) during the game against Rutgers on Nov. 12, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Scarlet Knights, 49-0.

After a disappointing season for the MSU football team, it will look to the off-season after failing to reach the six-win threshold needed to become bowl eligible. Fortunately, the Spartans will welcome good news as freshman wide receiver Donnie Corley was named to the Big Ten Network All-Big Ten Freshman team, according to a press release.

Corley ranked second among conference freshmen wide receivers with 33 receptions and 453 receiving yards. He also tied for the lead in touchdown receptions with three.

Among the MSU history books, Corley racked up the most receiving yards by a true freshman ever and was second in receptions. Only Sedrick Irvin in 1996 caught more passes as a true freshman than Corley, with 40.

Coupled with his contributions on offense, Corley also played on the other side of the ball, suiting up in four games as a cornerback for head coach Mark Dantonio's team. During his time denying the ball, he racked up five tackles.

Along with Corley, five other Spartan freshmen were named honorable mentions for the team for their contributions throughout the season. Offensive tackle Cole Chewins, cornerback Justin Layne and defensive linemen Josh King, Mike Panasiuk and Raequan Williams rounded out the five receiving the honor.

Share and discuss “Freshman wide receiver Donnie Corley named to the Big Ten All-Big Ten Freshman team” on social media.