Tuesday, March 19, 2024

MSU's Sigma Nu under investigation for scavenger hunt list

<p>MSU's Sigma Nu fraternity house at&nbsp;110 Oakhill Ave. Photo McKenna Ross</p>

MSU's Sigma Nu fraternity house at 110 Oakhill Ave. Photo McKenna Ross

An MSU fraternity is under investigation by the university and its national leadership after a student found a scavenger hunt list outside Phillips Hall last week.

The list appears to belong to Sigma Nu, making multiple references to its name and its greek letters. The student sent the list to The State News via another student and requested anonymity.

Alleged Sigma Nu scavenger hunt list by The State News on Scribd

The paper is entitled “Scavenger Hunt Fall 16’” and lists 40 tasks with various points assigned to each. The tasks vary from public nudity to videos and photos of sexual behavior and theft.

Terrence Frazier, vice president for Student Affairs and Services and greek life coordinator, said the university is looking into the incident.

“We are having conversations with Greek student leaders and the appropriate national headquarters of those with chapters at MSU,” Frazier said in an emailed statement. “As community leaders they understand their responsibilities to create an open and welcoming community in East Lansing, and they are working to create more educational opportunities for their members and for the general MSU community.”

Members of the fraternity did not comment on the matter and instead directed inquiries to the national office.

Sigma Nu’s fraternity headquarters said they are launching an investigation to learn more about the possible misconduct. A press release states scavenger hunts are prohibited by fraternity policy.

“We take these matters very seriously and are following up immediately to learn more,” Fred Dobry, Director of Risk Reduction for Sigma Nu Fraternity, said. “Initial information indicates that chapter leadership was unaware of any scavenger hunt activity as part of any chapter event or activity.”

The list indicates the name of the fraternity several times. One task asks for “a brother’s Sigma Nu active card” for five points. For 50 points, another asks for a photo of “a girl with EN” on her breasts, and rewards an extra 50 points if they are fully exposed.

Other items on the list include pictures of kissing specific women, twins and pictures with people who are Asian or a person who is homeless.

Frazier said discrimination is not welcome in the MSU community.

“Discrimination and racism are not values aligned with the MSU Greeks community or with our university,” Frazier said. “In our conversations we are continuing to encourage these students to live in ways that support our core values.”

Share and discuss “MSU's Sigma Nu under investigation for scavenger hunt list ” on social media.