PREVIEW: MSU looks to break slump with win against Northwestern

Junior running back Gerald Holmes (24) runs the football during the game against Brigham Young University on Oct. 8, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. Holmes rushed for a total of 58 yards.
Junior running back Gerald Holmes (24) runs the football during the game against Brigham Young University on Oct. 8, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. Holmes rushed for a total of 58 yards. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

The MSU football team and head coach Mark Dantonio will be looking to snap a three game losing streak––something that has happened two other times at MSU under Dantonio––against the Northwestern University Wildcats on homecoming weekend.

Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. on Saturday at Spartan Stadium. Both squads are 2-3 on the season, but Northwestern holds the edge in Big Ten play with a 1-1 record. They come in off of a 37-31 win on the road against the University of Iowa.

The Spartans, meanwhile, took a break from conference play and fell to BYU 31-14, and this past week leading up to Northwestern has seen a quarterback competition and scrutiny aimed at the defensive pass rush and offensive play calling.

INJURY REPORT

MSU

OUT: Defensive tackle Raequan Williams (shoulder), defensive end Mufi Hunt (knee), linebacker Jon Reschke (ankle)

DOUBTFUL: Linebacker Riley Bullough (shoulder)

PROBABLE: Offensive linemen Brian Allen and Kodi Kieler (undisclosed), cornerback Darian Hicks (hip)

NORTHWESTERN

OUT: Defensive back Keith Watkins II (knee), running back Warren Long (hand)

QUESTIONABLE: Cornerback Matthew Harris (concussion)

MSU ON OFFENSE

The big question for MSU coming into this game is who will be under center to start. Fifth-year senior Tyler O’Connor has started the first five games, but was replaced by junior Damion Terry in the fourth quarter against BYU. Now, O’Connor, Terry, and redshirt-freshman Brian Lewerke used this week to battle out for the starting position.

“I don't think that he played poorly, but there's got to be production,” Dantonio said of O’Connor. “There's just gotta be some production, more production than what there is. I don't like sitting a guy down who is a captain, that's for sure, and he's done a great job in that respect.”

Others are to blame for the Spartans' offensive struggles, such as poor protection from the offensive line and wide receivers running incorrect routes. Wide receiver coach Terrence Samuel touched on that earlier this week and spoke of how receivers have been progressing throughout the year.

“I think some older guys are playing OK, the younger guys are just coming,” Samuel said. “They are going to make mistakes. You just have to coach them through it. It is no different than where we were at in 2012. We are just trying to coach the guys through it and make sure they understand the ‘why.’”

Overall, MSU’s offense looks to improve their 102nd rank in total offense against a Northwestern defense that ranks 70th in total defense, giving up just under 405 yards per game.

MSU ON DEFENSE

MSU’s defense struggled at times against BYU quarterback Taysom Hill, especially on third-down and especially when he scrambled away from pressure. Unfortunately for MSU, they will have to deal with that again this week, as sophomore quarterback Clayton Thorson for Northwestern can tuck and run and keep composed in the pocket.

With a defensive front seven that only has five sacks in five games, it will be even more important for the defensive line to get home to the quarterback and prevent big plays, especially on those critical third-downs.

“Bottom line is that our D-line right now is putting pressure on themselves to get home,” co-defensive coordinator Mike Tressel said. “It has been a big emphasis. Last week too, but we didn’t come up with any sacks. I feel pretty good that we are putting together a plan that will allow those guys to cut it loose.”

The Spartans' defense also will have to deal with senior wide receiver Austin Carr, who leads the Big Ten conference in receptions (32), receiving yards (465) and receiving touchdowns (6). The secondary has done well at tackling, with the safety combo of Montae Nicholson (41 tackles) and Demetrious Cox (36 tackles) being one and three on the team in tackles, respectively.

“From my perspective, for me, from Mark Dantonio, I'm a defensive coach,” Dantonio said. “I spend my time in the defensive room because that's where I have the most knowledge and I have the most expertise, especially in the secondary, which isn't playing that well either.”

Now it’s up to the defense to take that coaching and turn it into production and results.

NORTHWESTERN OFFENSE

Aside the aforementioned Thorson and Carr, the Wildcats have an explosive player in the backfield by the name of Justin Jackson. Previously a return man as well as running back, the staff at Northwestern has shifted his sole attention to the backfield.

Yeah, he's tough, might not be as big,” Dantonio said of Jackson. “He's 193 pounds. He has over three thousand yards now, which I think is the fourth time maybe that's ever been accomplished at Northwestern. He's only a junior. He gives them a guy that can catch the ball, as well. I think he does a nice job in pass protection, as well. He's tough.”

Thorson has thrown for over 1000 yards, but most of his targets go the direction of Carr. Carr has 21 more receptions than the next receiver for Northwestern, but the offensive attack for the Wildcats is quick and efficient.

“The receivers and the quarterback just need small windows with what they do, it is a precise, quick passing game, and then as soon as you really start to nail down on that stuff that’s when they take the big shots,” Tressel said. “I feel like they are gaining confidence and coming together.”

If MSU’s defense can slow down the combination of Thorson and Carr, it could stall the Wildcat passing game and the defense could start gaining confidence and getting off the field on third down.

NORTHWESTERN DEFENSE

The Northwestern defense has been average all season led by linebacker Jaylen Prater (46 tackles) and safety Godwin Igwebuike (44 tackles, four for loss). They rank 70th in total defense, 63rd against the run and 90th in passing defense.

However, defensive end Ifeadi Odenigbo had a coming-out party against Iowa, tallying four sacks against the Hawkeyes, setting a Northwestern school record for sacks in a game in the process.

“Defensively, No. 16, Godwin Igwebuike, very good player, good tackler,” Dantonio said. “Also (Jaylen) Prater, linebacker. Two probably biggest tacklers. No. 7 (Ifeadi Odenigbo) has done a nice job in terms of pressuring the quarterback, especially against Iowa. A lot of things going on.”

The offense should look to establish the run early and open up the play action, something Northwestern has been susceptible to all season.

PREDICTIONS

NATHANIEL BOTT

MSU, no matter who is under center, will need to put up some points. The key on offense will be getting separation on the outside for receivers, making the quarterback’s windows more open to throw in. Defensively, stopping Austin Carr is goal number one. The leading receiver in the Big Ten has caught a touchdown four games in a row, and the secondary has their work cut out for them.

SCORE AND MVP

MSU 28-14. MVP is Montae Nicholson. I know I made this pick two weeks ago, but Nicholson has had over 10 tackles the last two games. Thorson is still young and has thrown four interceptions, and Nicholson has had his chances at a big turnover the last two weeks. This time, he puts it all together. Plus, Dantonio is 8-1 on homecoming, including a win over Northwestern in 2009.

STEPHEN OLSCHANSKI

For MSU, Northwestern no longer appears to be an easy game. The Spartans face a chance to drop four straight games including three of those at home. Many thought MSU would come with a chip on its shoulder against BYU but that prediction fell short. MSU will be looking to salvage a season and a bowl game. It'll be tough against a Northwestern capable of scoring points, though its defense has holes. Expect a close one.

SCORE AND MVP

MSU 24, Northwestern 20. Expect a tight ball game and a late defensive stand by MSU to secure a win. Whoever is under center will emerge as the MVP. The stagnant offense will have to produce and it as always, begins at quarterback. 

Share and discuss “PREVIEW: MSU looks to break slump with win against Northwestern” on social media.