MSU loses fifth straight, yet to win Big Ten game

The team walks off the field after losing their homecoming game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. This was the fourth game in a row that the Spartans have lost.
The team walks off the field after losing their homecoming game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. This was the fourth game in a row that the Spartans have lost. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

Two fourth quarter touchdowns by Maryland vanquished a three point MSU lead, giving the Terrapins a 28-17 win over MSU football which dropped its fifth straight game. The Terrapins 14 unanswered points in the fourth quarter continued a string of bad fourth quarters and second halves for the Spartans.

Perhaps MSU’s most fluid drive of the night, a seven play 47 yard chug up the field ended with a fumble at the Maryland six yard line by fifth-year senior wide receiver Monty Madaris. But the momentum didn’t break as MSU ended a promising Maryland drive on fourth down and sixth.

Ten plays and 48 yards later, mostly picked up by the quick feet of redshirt freshman quarterback Brian Lewerke, MSU went up 17-14 with 1:35 to go in the third quarter. After botching the fake field goal earlier in the game, Michael Geiger connected on the 34 yard kicking try.

MSU continued to struggle on third down for another straight week, this time allowing Maryland to pick up 5 of 12 third down attempts. MSU had problems at time with the Maryland running game allowing Maryland to bust off 141 yards in the second half and 247 yards in total. Maryland would average a final 5.2 yards per carry.

The Terrapins retook the lead in the fourth quarter on a two yard scamper by running back Kenneth Goins who was able to find the endzone behind a trove of blockers. That drive encapsulated eight plays, 75 yards in 2:46.

Penalties continued to pain the Spartans, who finished with seven penalties that accounted for 84 yards. They stalled promising drives as they had all year, keeping MSU from increasing the lead or catching up.

Maryland quarterback Perry Hills would finish the game 21-27 with 200 yards and two passing touchdowns.

A week after starting against Northwestern, Lewerke took the opening snaps again for the Spartans. After Not passing for the first 10 offensive plays, Lewerke’s second pass, a deep ball shot intended for Donnie Corley, was intercepted setting up Maryland’s first score.

The Terrapin’ struck first with 2:51 remaining in the first quarter on a 96 yard drive ending in a eight yard touchdown run by running back Lorenzo Harrison.The score would be capped off by a two point conversion putting Maryland up, 8-0.

The Terrapins churned through the MSU defense on the strength of its running game and was aided by the ejection of fifth year senior linebacker RIley Bullough for targeting. In total, Bullough’s three penalties afforded Maryland 45 free yards.

Bullough had incurred two personal fouls by that point, one for a late hit out of bounds and another for roughing the passer. MSU continued to have trouble tackling, allowing Maryland plenty of space to pick up easy yards on the drive.

After stalling on its first four drives, MSU’s lone bright spot of the first half, running back LJ Scott bolted for a 48 yard touchdown run. The score with 9:41 left in the second quarter brought MSU within a point at 8-7, after the extra point. Scott finished the game with 20 carries for 128 yards.

Maryland later added a touchdown with 5:41 to go in the half on a 36 yard touchdown pass from Perry Hills to an alone D.J. Moore. The extra point darted wide left, giving Maryland a 14-7 lead.

MSU responded with a touchdown drive of its own, albeit on the ground behind a 52 yard rushing effort by Gerald Holmes. Holmes final carry of his eight found him in the endzone after a one yard rush setting MSU up to tie the game at 14-14.

Holmes finished the game with 13 carries for 59 yards.

Despite early struggles throwing the ball, Lewerke started finidng receivers and opening up the offense, finishing the game 11-of-24 for 156 yards.

In a two minute drill late in the second quarter MSU moved down the field to the Maryland 28 yard line but botched a fake field goal attempt sending the game into the half tied at 14-14.

MSU finished the game with 426 yards of total offense while Maryland was able rack up 447 yards of offense. 

Share and discuss “MSU loses fifth straight, yet to win Big Ten game” on social media.