MSU men's soccer takes down No. 17 Akron

<p>Midfielder Ken Krolicki (22) attempts to block Akron midfielder Pau Belana (13) on a pass during the first half of the game on Oct. 11, 2016 at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans defeated the Zips, 2-1.</p>

Midfielder Ken Krolicki (22) attempts to block Akron midfielder Pau Belana (13) on a pass during the first half of the game on Oct. 11, 2016 at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans defeated the Zips, 2-1.

Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

MSU men's soccer notched its ninth win on Tuesday afternoon with a win against Akron. With the result, the Spartans surpassed last year's mark of eight wins with five games remaining until the end of the regular season.

In a defensively oriented first half, MSU was able to capitalize on its only official shot. In the 23rd minute sophomore attacker Ryan Sierakowski crept into the box and was taken down. Sierakowski was taken off of the ball but unfairly, as judged by the referee.

Sierakowski grabbed the ball and commanded the penalty spot. MSU's designated penalty kicker, Sierakowski, scored his seventh goal of the year and his second penalty conversion.

The game entered halftime with just three shots registered between the two sides, and MSU led 1-0.

In the second half, the high press of Akron hastened the urgency. MSU was able to take advantage of room in the back initially, creating two opportunities before eventually finding the back of the net.

On a 54th minute corner kick taken by redshirt-junior Ryan Scott, junior defender Jimmy Fiscus feinted and headed to the near post. Unable to attempt a shot, he flicked it on further. Sophomore winger Hunter Barone read the route of the ball and was alone two yards from the goal upon taking his first touch before easily placing the ball into the top right corner.

With a 2-0 lead, the Spartans looked comfortable ahead, but the Zips didn't relent their pressure. Akron scored after a spell of extended bearing down when redshirt freshman forward Skye Harter held off the defense from inside the box. Harter dribbled to his right in order to create room and popped a shot targeted for the near post.

MSU's defense reacted, but possibly too quickly. Dewey Lewis's slide projected the ball into midair. Redshirt-sophomore goalkeeper Jimmy Hague had also anticipated the route of the attempt and dove. The significantly changed shot caromed over Hague, and the Zips brought the score to within one with 19 minutes remaining.

Akron continued their offensive assault but lost the poise required. Two red cards slashed the Zips' comeback attempts, with both a coach and player thrown out for dissent. With Ezana Kahsay disqualified and down a player, Akron's attacks became increasingly slowed.

Although both teams had chances to alter the scoreline, MSU remained sturdy defensively and held on 2-1 to avoid a second consecutive draw. The game was the Spartans' second in three days, following a 1-1 draw to Wisconsin on Sunday. They next travel to Penn State on Sunday.

Share and discuss “MSU men's soccer takes down No. 17 Akron ” on social media.