MSU has chance to spoil College Football Playoff hopes for U-M on Saturday

<p>MSU coach Mark Dantonio and the football team line up before the game against Michigan on Oct. 17, 2015 at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 27-23.</p>

MSU coach Mark Dantonio and the football team line up before the game against Michigan on Oct. 17, 2015 at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 27-23.

Photo by Joshua Abraham | The State News

Under Mark Dantonio, MSU is 7-2 against U-M, including 4-1 at home. Wolverines’ head coach Jim Harbaugh is 0-1 against MSU. The Spartans defeated U-M 27-23 last season — Harbaugh’s first at the helm.

“Obviously, guys, big football game for us, rivalry game,” Dantonio said at his press conference Tuesday. “I think the history of this football game really goes back to every coach who’s ever probably coached here.”

MSU comes into the game having lost five straight, most recently 28-17 to Maryland. U-M will enter the contest having quickly dispatched Illinois, 41-8 last week.

The game has become a looming rivalry for state bragging rights, and has recently become a battle for Big Ten title contention, though this year MSU is out of the picture for a return to Indianapolis. The Spartans, however, could play spoiler to U-M’s aspirations.

U-M presents an offense, which currently averages 257.1 yards rushing and 225.9 yards passing per game. Even more staggering, the Wolverines have averaged 10 points a quarter while leading the Big Ten and being ranked third in the country for offensive scoring, averaging 48.7 points a game.

“You look at them on offense, again, another veteran football team with a quarterback who’s in his fifth year, I believe,” Dantonio said. “Also (Amara) Darboh and (Jehu) Chesson who are seniors and very productive players along with (Jake) Butt.”

The MSU offense has lagged behind by comparison, compiling 235 average yards passing and 155.3 average yards rushing. MSU’s already stagnant offense will face perhaps the toughest defense in the nation.

“Look at defense, I think they have 10 seniors of the 11 starters,” Dantonio said. “Jourdan Lewis back in the back end, I guess (Jabrill) Peppers at the linebacker position, and then Chris Wormley and Taco Charlton probably at the front four are probably their headline guys.”

Lewis, perhaps one of the nation’s top defensive backs, will be the lockdown guy on MSU’s best receiver and will likely be paired with either Donnie Corley or R.J. Shelton.

U-M possesses a similar threat in the run-stopping game behind a defense that has given up an average of 96 yards a game. Only one opponent, UCF, rushed for 275 yards against the Wolverines.

Dantonio has yet to name a starting quarterback and called it a “game-time decision.” U-M quarterback Wilton Speight has started every game, coming into the game completing 114-of-182 passes, 1,447 yards passing and 13 touchdowns.

MSU’s defense has given up an average of 162.6 yards rushing a game and allowed an average of 225.4 yards through the air. The defense ranks 119th in terms of team sacks, averaging a sack a game.

Share and discuss “MSU has chance to spoil College Football Playoff hopes for U-M on Saturday” on social media.