FINAL: Spartans fall to Hoosiers in overtime, lose Old Brass Spittoon

Freshman wide receiver Donnie Corley (9) is tackled by Indiana defensive back Rashard Fant (16) during the game against Indiana on Oct. 1, 2016 at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington, Ind.
Freshman wide receiver Donnie Corley (9) is tackled by Indiana defensive back Rashard Fant (16) during the game against Indiana on Oct. 1, 2016 at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington, Ind. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

The early afternoon drizzle dissipated and left behind some perfect weather for football as the No. 17 MSU Spartans traveled to Bloomington to take on the 2-1 Indiana. A back and forth game was sent to overtime, with the Hoosiers giving MSU their second straight loss 24-21.

It is the first time head coach Mark Dantonio has lost to Indiana, and they reclaim the Old Bras Spittoon from the Spartans.

The winner wound up being a 20-yard field goal from Indiana kicker Griffin Oakes in the first overtime after MSU quarterback Tyler O’Connor was sacked on back-to-back snaps, pinning MSU kicker Michael Geiger back to attempt a 49-yard field goal that came up short.

The big play and only points of the first half for either side occurred on MSU’s second drive, as O’Connor connected on a deep ball to senior receiver R.J. Shelton for 86 yards, with Shelton diving across the goal line for the touchdown. Shelton finished with seven catches for 141 yards and a touchdown.

MSU’s defense felt no ill effects from the absence of linebackers Jon Reschke and Riley Bullough in the first half, holding Indiana to only 120 yards of total offense in the first half. The Hoosiers ended up with 432 yards total for the game, while MSU had 438.

The Spartans were led defensively by linebackers Chris Frey and Andrew Dowell, who ended his night with eight tackles a piece. Sophomore cornerback Vayante Copeland had four tackles and a crucial first-half interception in the end zone. Defensive tackle Malik McDowell

Indiana was led defensively by linebacker Tegray Scales, who had 14 tackles, including 1.5 for loss. Defensive lineman Nate Hoff and Patrick Dougherty had the only two sacks for Indiana in overtime.

The second half held a little bit more excitement, as Indiana marched down the field their first second half drive but failed to convert a 4th and goal, turning the ball over on downs. After an MSU punt, Indiana had another solid drive that resulted in their second missed field goal of the game from Oakes.

MSU took advantage, organizing their most efficient drive of the night to that point, sprinkling in a nice mixture of run and pass. The drive wound up going seven plays for 77 yards being capped off with a touchdown pass from O’Connor to senior fullback Delton Williams.

Indiana finally got into the end zone after a number of missed opportunities, and they pulled something out from the magic hat to get it done. A reverse to receiver Mitchell Paige was thrown back to Hoosier quarterback Richard Lagow, giving the quarterback a reception touchdown and cutting the MSU lead back to seven.

Lagow and the Hoosiers came back on their next drive as well, with Lagow connecting with senior receiver Ricky Jones for a 22-yard touchdown pass, tying the game at 14 all.

The defense gave up a long 57-yard completion that set up the first Hoosier touchdown, and the offense sputtered on most of their second half drives, giving Indiana decent field position and not giving the defense a chance to catch their breathe.

It showed in Indiana’s final drive, as running back Devine Redding broke a 44-yard run to put Indiana at the MSU 36 yard line with six minutes left. The drive went four plays for 00 yards in just 1:44, ending with a Hoosiers touchdown pass from Lagow to Paige.

MSU wasn’t dead yet, as their final offensive drive went 13 plays for 75 yards in 4:27 and was completed with a touchdown –– O’Connor to Price from two yards out.

Just as the Furman game showed, penalties were key drive killers for the Spartans all game long. Two holding calls on the final drive before half took points off the board, and a 4th and eight run by O’Connor was converted deep in Indiana territory –– but that too was called back for a hold.

The 2-2 Spartans take on BYU at home next weekend. 

Share and discuss “FINAL: Spartans fall to Hoosiers in overtime, lose Old Brass Spittoon” on social media.