Depth chart changes highlight Dantonio's preview of Maryland

Head coach Mark Dantonio remains expressionless after Northwestern scores a touchdown during the third quarter in the game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wildcats, 54-40.
Head coach Mark Dantonio remains expressionless after Northwestern scores a touchdown during the third quarter in the game against Northwestern on Oct. 15, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wildcats, 54-40. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

The MSU football team will travel to College Park, Md. for their second Big Ten road game and their third night road game of the season. They look to recover from a brutal homecoming loss and battle the University of Maryland Terrapins, who have lost their last two games after getting off to a hot 4-0 start under first-year head coach D.J. Durkin.

MSU head coach Mark Dantonio has enjoyed success against the "Terps" since their 2014 arrival to the Big Ten, winning both contests by double digits, including a 37-15 win at Maryland in their inaugural season. On Tuesday, Dantonio previewed the the upcoming battle, and here are some takeaways from it.

1. A youthful secondary

During the absence of senior cornerback Darian Hicks, the Spartans have had to rely on an injection of youth on the perimeter. Hicks remains listed as a backup cornerback, and instead of sophomore Tyson Smith, the converted freshman wide receiver Justin Layne is listed as the primary starter.

Opposite of Layne, sophomore Vayante Copeland has been the starting staple on that side of the field. However, after missed tackles last week, he was taken out in favor of redshirt-freshman Josh Butler, who hadn't seen much playing time. Now, the duo is listed as co-starters for this week.

“I think first of all players need to compete within our football team certainly, but I was talking more about big picture, competing in football games, competing in the next challenge that’s in front of us, but we’re obviously going to have some depth chart moves as we go through this,” Dantonio said regarding the move. “I don’t think there’s any question that that happens.”

2. Terry still alive in QB competition

Although redshirt-freshman Brian Lewerke and fifth-year senior Tyler O’Connor are listed as the lone co-starters at quarterback, Dantonio said Damion Terry is very much alive in the competition at quarterback.

“No, Damion is not out of the mix in terms of playing,” Dantonio said. “We’ll see how the practices work out this week. We’ll make some determinations as we go, sort of go from there.

"As far as my speaking to our quarterbacks, that’s an in-house thing. I spoke to all of our quarterbacks, make sure everybody was in good shape mentally.” 

Dantonio also said a hand injury hindered Terry last week, therefore the staff decided to hold him out against Northwestern. Dantonio did not say who has an edge to start this week, but will make a decision closer to game time.

3. Team in need of a rallying cry

With the Spartans sitting at 2-4, Dantonio has been trying to get something for the team to rally behind. They shifted their mantra to “One Focus,” that being their next opponent regardless of the team’s record. Dantonio added that a nine-game bowl appearance streak adds an extra motivation.

“It’s something we’ve done every year,” Dantonio said. “We’ve sort of taken it for granted. I don’t think you can obviously take things for granted right now. We’re a 2-4 football team. Again, we’ve got to find the inches. We’ve been able to do that.”

The teams of the past have always played with a certain chip on their shoulder, and Dantonio understands this team still has to find it.

“In some ways a lot of you guys, media, people around, have said we’ve always played with a chip on our shoulder,” Dantonio said. “We need to assume that that chip is not there and put it there.”

4. Scott trying to get out of funk

Sophomore running back LJ Scott only saw three carries against Northwestern, picking up 25 yards in the process. He did not see much of the field in the second half as the Spartan game plan shifted to a more pass-heavy approach as their deficit increased.

“(Scott) has to protect better in pass situations certainly,” Dantonio said of his bruising back. “Again, I’ll go back to what I said earlier. We need to get our tailbacks involved in run and pass. They need to be a bigger part of who we are. They will be inevitably.”

Scott was left on the sidelines in favor of junior Gerald Holmes and sophomore Madre London, who have shown to be better in the backfield in pass protection and leaking out for receptions. It is something Scott will have to improve on if he wants to get the reps he deserves. 

Share and discuss “Depth chart changes highlight Dantonio's preview of Maryland” on social media.