Clown craze might have gone too far

Holt resident Nifty the clown shoes off his handcrafted shoes during the 3rd Annual Taste of Downtown in downtown Lansing on Saturday afternoon. Nifty said he got had his shoes custom made in New Jersey. Natalie Kolb/The State News

Lt. Wriggelsworth advises residents to always walk in pairs, stay out of dark areas and alleyways during the evening hours and limit distractions while walking.

On Oct. 7, Wriggelsworth said a 12-year-old girl allegedly chased other children with two kitchen knives while wearing a clown mask at MacDonald Middle School in East Lansing. ELPD later found out the same girl was scaring children earlier in the day at a bus stop in Meridian Township. The investigation is still ongoing, but Wriggelsworth is unsure if the girl will face charges.

“I don’t think it’s right for people to put on masks — clown masks or other kinds of masks — and go around scaring people,” psychology professor Lauren Harris said.

Harris mentioned his concern for the real, professional clowns in light of recent events.

“(They are) being vilified, branded because of the silly pranks of a few,” said Harris.

Officer manager for Redford-based children’s party entertainment company Jokers Entertainment, Brandy McKay, said they have not experienced a drop in sales despite the recent negative news on clowns.

“We’ve been in business for over 30 years, so it’s not really an issue for our company,” McKay said. “Most of our business comes from word of mouth, so people know the safety and quality of our business.”

Donald Doornbos said he has been in the clown entertainment business for more than 40 years. Doornbos, who also goes by his clown name "Mr. Bubbles", has been receiving calls from friends to stay safe when in costume because they have overheard people talk about harming clowns.

Doornbos specifically mentioned a friend calling him to say he overheard two men at a grocery store say they were going to get into a car, find a clown and try to beat the clown up.

“From everyone that talks to me, we’re going to have to be escorted in to do a show and escorted out to do a show,” Doornbos said. “It’s getting to the point where you don’t feel safe.”

This has some clowns concerned about their job.

Doornbos said he has a show on Oct. 23 at a school, but called to ensure they still wanted him there. He said the school told him they definitely still wanted him to preform and they said that they know he’s an excellent clown.

Doornbos recommends that those who see a clown who looks suspicious should call 911. 

Share and discuss “Clown craze might have gone too far” on social media.