MSU and U-M come together for Alex's Great State Race

<p>Playmakers ultra-marathoner Michael Richmond clutches his daughter after the 11-hour, 64 mile run from Ann Arbor to East Lansing for Alex's Great State Race on Oct. 24, 2014, at Dem Hall. Dylan Vowell/The State News</p>

Playmakers ultra-marathoner Michael Richmond clutches his daughter after the 11-hour, 64 mile run from Ann Arbor to East Lansing for Alex's Great State Race on Oct. 24, 2014, at Dem Hall. Dylan Vowell/The State News

Alex’s Great State Race honors former MSU student Alex Powell, with hopes to raise awareness for student disability services.

Five years ago, MSU student Alex Powell walked around campus with his longtime dream of being a Spartan realized. However, Powell wasn’t like most MSU students.

Powell was diagnosed with a rare cancer during his senior year of high school. When he had found out he’d been accepted to MSU, he didn’t let his illness change his goals and pursued his educational career at MSU.

“I am very excited to be able to run for such an amazing cause,” MSU ROTC cadet and general management junior Michael Stass said.

After forming a close bond with the MSU football team and those surrounding him, Powell left a legacy behind on MSU’s campus.

“Alex’s story is moving, and this event is a great way to honor his courage and perseverance while battling cancer as he made the drive between Ann Arbor and East Lansing for treatments,” Stass said. “The amount of support both sides bring is truly inspiring.”

Powell’s family and MSU’s Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities started the race.

The annual event is held the day before the rivalry game between U-M and MSU. Participants race to the location of where the game will be held with the game ball to honor Powell.

“I love how it brings both schools together in working towards a very worthy goal,” MSU Army ROTC cadet and social work junior Terra Crown said. “We all have so much to offer and it’s awesome when people from all over step up to the plate.”

Crown will not be running the full 64 miles. Stass plans on running about 25 miles. This year, MSU ROTC and ROTC at U-M will join together and run in Alex’s Great State Race.

“We have 25 participating this year,” Stass said. “Twenty-five is actually about a quarter of our battalion.”

Microbiology junior and ROTC cadet Cam Woodard will also participate in the race this Friday.

“It’s very humbling to be a part of this experience running for this cause,” Woodard said. “It makes realize how blessed I have been in my life and my need to give back.”

The runners try to raise awareness and funds to support people with disabilities through the RCPD at MSU and U-M, Woodard said.

“We do this in remembrance of Alex Powell and his indomitable spirit,” Woodard said.

All donations from the race go toward the RCPD at MSU and the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities at U-M.

“Last year we raised over $11,000 dollars,” Crown said. “The generosity of people is what inspires me most about this race.”

Both U-M and MSU communities will come together Friday morning to celebrate Powell’s life. Led by the game ball for Saturday’s game, participants will be race for awareness and a legacy of a young man that will live on.

Share and discuss “MSU and U-M come together for Alex's Great State Race” on social media.