FINAL: MSU beat by Badgers 30-6 in Big Ten opener

Senior cornerback Darian Hicks (2) intercepts the ball for a pass intended for Wisconsin wide receiver Robert Wheelwright (15) during the last play of the second quarter  against Wisconsin on Sept. 24, 2016 at Spartan Stadium.
Senior cornerback Darian Hicks (2) intercepts the ball for a pass intended for Wisconsin wide receiver Robert Wheelwright (15) during the last play of the second quarter against Wisconsin on Sept. 24, 2016 at Spartan Stadium.

The No. 8 MSU football team got off to a sluggish start in the first half, and too many mistakes cost the Spartans the start they wanted in Big Ten play, getting blown by the Badgers 30-6 in the Big Ten opener. MSU falls to 2-1 on the season, 0-1 in conference play.

MSU scored first following a Badger fumble with a 48-yard field goal from senior kicker Michael Geiger, but the Badgers responded with a nearly eight-minute drive capped off by a touchdown pass thrown by redshirt-freshman Alex Hornibrook to regain the lead 7-3.

Hornibrook looked composed all game, finishing with 195 yards throwing and one touchdown, as well as a 121.9 quarterback rating. The Badgers were led receiving wise by junior Jazz Peavy, who reeled in four catches for 96 yards on the afternoon.

An interception by senior quarterback Tyler O’Connor led to another Wisconsin touchdown, making it 13-3 after a missed extra point. MSU ended the half with a 40-yard field goal and second quarter-ending interception by senior Darian Hicks.

O’Connor had his roughest performance of his career, completing 18-of-38 pass attempts for 224 yards and three interceptions. The Spartans leading receiver on the day was freshman Donnie Corley, who had four catches for 84 yards. Senior R.J. Shelton, the only Wisconsin native on MSU’s roster, ended the game with three catches for 23 yards.

Redshirt-freshman Brian Lewerke came in at the end of the game in replace of O’Connor.

The Spartan defense came out with heavy pressure on the Badgers opening drive, forcing a three-and-out and gaining solid field position. However, a run from sophomore L.J. Scott ended with the ball being knocked free, scooped up by Badgers safety Leo Musso and returned 66 yards for a touchdown, making it 20-6 Wisconsin early in the second half.

Scott wound up with 61 yards on 14 carries. No other Spartan running back had more than three carries, as Madre London was the second leading rusher for MSU with six yards on his lone carry.

Wisconsin tacked on a 41-yard field goal before a bobbled snap on a potential punt by Jake Hartbarger gave Wisconsin the ball at the MSU five yard line, resulting in running back Corey Clement’s second touchdown of the game, making the score 30-6 Badgers. Clement finished with 54 yards and two touchdowns despite being questionable to play before the game.

The Spartans were led defensively by the safety duo of junior Montae Nicholson (10 tackles, four solo) and senior Demetrious Cox (14 tackles, four solo). Senior captain and middle linebacker Riley Bullough was not dressed for today’s game, and junior Shane Jones stepped up to start in his place. Jones finished with six tackles, two for loss, a half-sack.

The Badgers torched MSU on third-down, converting seven out of 16 attempts, including numerous throws that went for 15 yards or more. Wisconsin was unstoppable in the red zone, winding up a perfect 3-3 with three touchdowns.

The Spartans continue Big Ten play next week when they travel to Bloomington, Ind. to take on the Indiana Hoosiers. That game will kickoff at 8 p.m.

Share and discuss “FINAL: MSU beat by Badgers 30-6 in Big Ten opener” on social media.