Sadler headlines list of 2016 MSU Hall of Fame inductees

<p>Head coach Mark Dantonio talks to junior punter Mike Sadler during the game against Notre Dame Sept. 21, 2013, at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind. The Fighting Irish defeated the Spartans 17-13. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Head coach Mark Dantonio talks to junior punter Mike Sadler during the game against Notre Dame Sept. 21, 2013, at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind. The Fighting Irish defeated the Spartans 17-13. Julia Nagy/The State News

Choking on his words and fighting back tears, head football coach Mark Dantonio made one final statement about the life of Mike Sadler on Sunday. He took the podium, looked at his players and the crowd, stood poised and said Sadler’s jersey number, three, would always be special at MSU.

Mere days after thousands gathered in the seats at Spartan Stadium to celebrate the life of former MSU punter Sadler, more than just his number will be immortalized in Spartan history.

MSU athletics announced its annual list of MSU Hall of Fame inductees on Tuesday bearing the names of eight former Spartan athletes headlined by Sadler. The usual 10-year-post-career waiting period was waived for Sadler by MSU athletics. 

“Mike Sadler affected millions of people," Dantonio said in the release. "He was one of those people that brightened your day. I always say to try and be a light, and he was a light in this world.”

Dantonio went on to thank the Hall of Fame committee and MSU administration for being “proactive and having the foresight to make this announcement. Mike's incredible career at Michigan State deserves to be recognized in the Michigan State Athletics Hall of Fame."

Sadler was a four-time Academic All-American (first in school history), finished second in MSU history with 268 punts and second again punting yards with 11,307. He booted the ball an average of 42.2 yards in his career from 2011-2014 and dropped 39 percent of his punts inside the 20-yard line.

The beloved punter was known more for his personality than for his tremendous skill. Full of zany humor, a quick wit and endless compassion, he quickly became a fan favorite. He spilt his touch into Twitter as well, garnering a substantial following behind his humorous tweets. The love for Sadler grew even more as stories emerged of his commitment to fans and taking the time to make those around him feel special.

Joining Sadler in the Hall of Fame include two other former Spartan football players, Eric Allen and Steve Juday, soccer player Trevor Harris, wrestler Don Behm, cross country and track and field runner Anne Pewe Khademian, cross country and track and field runner Ken Popejoy and softball player Patti Raduenz.

Eric Allen:

From 1969-1971 “The Flea,” as Allen was called, lined up at running back for the Spartans en-route to 2,654 yards rushing on 521 carries and 28 touchdowns. Legendary MSU coach Duffy Daugherty once proclaimed Allen was the “finest running back” he ever saw according to the release. When Allen finished his career having captured multiple MSU, NCAA and Big Ten records.

Steve Juday:

Quarterback of a few potent Spartan football teams, Juday helped guide MSU to a national title in 1965 on the strength of his All-American performance. He ended his career leading MSU quarterbacks in completions, touchdown passes, passing yardage and pass attempts.

Don Behm:

Behm earned a silver medal in the 1968 Mexico City Olympic Games and helped MSU win Big Ten wrestling championships in 1965 and 1967. His 66-6 record from 1965-67 ranks seventh in win percentage and his loss in the 130 pound weight class in the 1967 national championships secured a national title for the Spartans.

Trevor Harris:

Harris, a native of Kingston, Jamaica, racked up 116 points from 1967-1969 en-route to two co-national titles for the Spartan soccer team in 1967 and 1968. During the 1968 campaign he netted 15 of the team’s school record of 77 goals. His career 48 goals is good for third all-time in MSU history.

Anne Pewe Khademian:

Pewe Khademian of Olivet, Mich. guided MSU to its first ever Big Ten Cross Country championship in 1981, placing second in the race. In track she took the outdoor Big Ten title in the 3,000 meter race behind a time of 9:24.42 and a title in the 4x800 meter race en-route to MSU capturing the Big Ten title in 1982.

Ken Popejoy:

A leader on the 1970 Big Ten title winning cross country team, Popejoy would go on to become an All-American selection that year. He helped guide the Spartans to the coveted, “triple crown” of running as MSU won the Big Ten Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field titles and the Big Ten Cross Country title in 1971. Popejoy set both the all-time MSU and Big Ten record mile record with a time of 3:57.

Patti Raduenz:

A Big Ten Medal of Honor recipient, Raduenz of Burlingotn, Wis., finished her career batting .372 — best in MSU history. Her 244 hits is best for third all-time and after MSU she went on to represent the U.S. in the Women’s World Cup in 2004 where she and Team USA captured the gold medal. 

The former Spartan athletes will be formally inducted into the Hall of Fame on Sept. 22. 

Share and discuss “Sadler headlines list of 2016 MSU Hall of Fame inductees” on social media.