Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Dantonio names O'Connor as starting QB for season opener

Senior quarterback Tyler O'Connor, 7, and junior quarterback Damion Terry, 6, rest during spring practice on April 5, 2016 at the practice fields behind the Duffy Daugherty Football Building.
Senior quarterback Tyler O'Connor, 7, and junior quarterback Damion Terry, 6, rest during spring practice on April 5, 2016 at the practice fields behind the Duffy Daugherty Football Building. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

With just 11 days until kickoff of the 2016 football season, MSU head coach Mark Dantonio addressed the media Monday afternoon during preseason camp and named fifth year senior quarterback Tyler O’Connor as the starter for week one of the regular season against Furman.

“He’s the number one guy,” Dantonio said. “He’s had a good enough camp to say that right now.”

O’Connor emerged as the presumptive starter during spring practice and had long been considered former Spartans QB Connor Cook’s replacement once the the three year starter and record holder finished his career.

Dantonio mentioned the battle for O’Connor’s backup was still up in the air between redshirt-freshmen Brian Lewerke and junior Damion Terry but was leaning toward Terry becoming the back up in week one.

Playing time under center in week one however was not restricted to only O’Connor, Dantonio said leaving open the possibility that Terry or Lewerke may see action against the Paladins.

Dantonio also complimented O’Connor’s efforts in the latest intrasquad scrimmage saying he the quarterback played well.

O’Connor was 10-of-16 passing for 138 yards and a touchdown in this year’s spring game and has racked up 374 yards through the air completing 34-of-54 passes. O’Connor has also accounted for four touchdowns and two interceptions in 12 career games at QB. He’s appeared in two games as a punter for the Spartans as well.

Named starter for last season’s game against Ohio State, O’Connor anchored a QB-tandem alongside Terry that led the Spartans to a 17-14 victory in Columbus after Cook’s shoulder injury left him too crippled to play.

O’Connor was 7 for 12 for 89 yards and one passing touchdown against the Buckeyes. 

Share and discuss “Dantonio names O'Connor as starting QB for season opener” on social media.