Protests from multiple causes merge into massive gathering

Philadelphia resident Bronson Ramon Weinkrantz, 4, plays in the water spraying from a fire hydrant on July 26, 2016, the second day of the Democratic National Convention, in Philadelphia.
Philadelphia resident Bronson Ramon Weinkrantz, 4, plays in the water spraying from a fire hydrant on July 26, 2016, the second day of the Democratic National Convention, in Philadelphia. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

PHILADELPHIA — Thousands of protesters descended down Broad Street late Tuesday night protesting multiple causes in a show of solidarity and displeasure with the Democratic National Committee.

What started out as minor protests marching to the DNC separately turned into a collective protest of multiple causes all underscored by a deep distrust and anger toward the leadership in the Democratic Party.

A local Philadelphia Black Lives Matter protest, which had been marching down Broad Street for much of the afternoon, collected at Philadelphia City Hall linking up with an Anti-DNC rally. The two groups meshed together and multiple protesters of the Black Lives Matter protest gave speeches before journeying nearly four miles to the gates of the DNC.

A small faction of the conjoined group broke off and headed down Broad Street but lost much of its appeal and force. The Black Lives Matter protest spearheaded the larger march however leaving City Hall just before 7 p.m.

Other protests linked up behind them including a Free Palestine group, a marijuana legalization contingent and multiple Bernie Sanders supporters upset with the outcome of the Democratic primaries.

A peaceful protest escorted by police, largely chanted for equality in the justice system, demanding justice for African-Americans killed by police or while in police custody. Lead by three cars, they waved flags and sang along to many chants for ending police violence as well as songs by N.W.A. and Kendrick Lamar.

“We’re out here of course, marching against police terrorism and also against stop and frisk but also issues of economic inequality such as gentrification, the school to prison pipeline and also the defunding of our schools here in Philadelphia,” Megan Malachi of Philadelphia said.

The movement also disavowed support for Hillary Clinton, saying “Don’t vote for Hillary, she kills black people.” 

At approximately 9 p.m. the protest stopped at the Broad Street and Oregon Avenue intersection to collect and pass out water before making the final leg of the march.

“I think it’s something necessary that we have to do and so of course there’s so many other things I’d rather be doing but you know as black people we don’t have any other choice but to be out here demonstrating and demanding our freedom,” Malachi said.

As protesters crossed over Oregon Avenue, a protest with large Bernie Sanders signs chanting, “Hands up, don’t shoot” was coming northbound on Broad Street. Greeting each other with cheers the two protests mixed together doubling in size and then some.

Now twice as big, the protest added more and more people off the sidewalks. An anti-DNC Bernie/Jill Stein protest group made its way up the median between Oregon Avenue and Bigler Street, joining the now much larger protest.

Swelling to the thousands, the groups melded together and descended on the gates of the DNC security zone and spilt over into Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park. The groups blended together but all felt disaffected by the DNC.

“We are extremely, extremely disappointed and hurt and I already exited the DNC,” Jena Rozansky said of herself and countless other Bernie Sanders or Jill Stein supporters. “I think the DNC is just as corrupt as the Republican Party, I don’t even see the difference between them anymore, so I registered Green and I’m going to support Jill Stein with every fiber of my being at this point.”

Police heightened their presence but many of the officers remained on bikes and didn’t intervene on the peaceful protest.

Once reaching the security zone, the protesters split off into the factions they came with. The Black Lives Matter group held a vigil for black men and women killed by police while the anti-DNC and Bernie supporters rallied around Jill Stein, the presumptive Green Party nominee.

Stein gave a short speech using a microphone and at one point called the week's events of protesting the beginning of a political revolution.

“I don't know how we can make any difference if there are multiple events going on,” Rozansky said. “There’s so many people but we’re all spread so thin all around Philly, I don’t know if we’re visible at this point.”

The crowds remained peaceful, chanting and singing before dispersing on their own. By approximately 10:15 p.m. only hundreds remained at the security zone gates. 

Share and discuss “Protests from multiple causes merge into massive gathering” on social media.