Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Protests calm down on final day of RNC

Members of the media surround members of the Revolutionary Communist Party as they burn an American flag on July 20, 2016, the third day of the Republican National Convention, in Cleveland, Ohio.

CLEVELAND - As day four of the Republican National Convention comes to a close, predominantly calm crime during the day made way for peaceful protests, the City of Cleveland and Police Department said at a press update held Thursday to discuss the day's crime.

Mayor Frank Jackson answered questions while Chief Calvin Williams remained in the field.

Kimberly Barnett, the city's chief assistant prosecutor discussed the process of those arrested and booked on Wednesday.

"As it's customary we will review the reports to determine whether charges are appropriate and if so what those charges are," Barnett said.

They decided in the affirmative.

"Today we went forward and issued charges on those cases," Barnett said. "Probable cause was sufficient and was present for the arrests of those people, we did move forward today and charged them. They were arraigned this afternoon."

The cases are going through the Cleveland Municipal court, she said.

No arrests were made today. Those arrested on Wednesday were charged with assault, Barnett said.

After a report of officers being injured by syringes in Public Square it was found that the report was incorrect. Cleveland police and federal level are investigating stickers as the cause. Syringes have been added to the list of prohibited items, Sgt. Jennifer Ciaccia said.

Tonight is expected to bring protests due to it being the last night, Ciaccia said they're prepared.

"We've trained and we're ready," she said. "We've trained and we're on scene." 

Share and discuss “Protests calm down on final day of RNC” on social media.