ASMSU and COGS: We won't live in fear after Orlando shooting

Haslett, Mich. resident Alysa Hodgson, right, speaks to a gathering of people during the candlelight vigil for Orlando on June 12, 2016 at the Capitol in Lansing. Lansing Association of Human Rights hosted the vigil for people that wanted to gather and mourn for Orlando's victims of violence.
Haslett, Mich. resident Alysa Hodgson, right, speaks to a gathering of people during the candlelight vigil for Orlando on June 12, 2016 at the Capitol in Lansing. Lansing Association of Human Rights hosted the vigil for people that wanted to gather and mourn for Orlando's victims of violence. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

In the early hours on Sunday morning, an act of violence against the LGBTQ community in Orlando, Florida sent shockwaves across the country. As students, we are taught to: be bold and prepare for engagement in a world wrought with uncertainty, to be centered and steadfast in times when understanding is not a possibility, and to be measured in our response to adversity despite the growing frustrations with senseless and reckless acts of hatred. 

We send our heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of those slain and injured at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando due to this reprehensible act of vehemence. 

As Presidents of the undergraduate, graduate and graduate-professional student bodies at Michigan State University, we want to express our support and solidarity to our friends and peers of the LGBTQ community on campus and throughout the greater Lansing area. Safety and security is a growing concern in all facets of life, and we encourage students to be vigilant no matter the location; if you see something, say something.

While we look forward with great anticipation to a successful upcoming academic year, we know there will be challenges along the way. As Spartans, we know that there is no challenge too difficult for our collective efforts to overcome. Every day, we strive to be a scholastic community that is inclusive to all Spartans and aim to be an example for others because WE ARE bolder by design. Spartans are leaders, and we hope that this upcoming year will allow us to demonstrate the opportunities of coming together as one community, standing strong in a society hurting from countless acts of violence, racism, bigotry and exclusion.

We will not let terror and acts of violence define our progress toward the advancement of “Spartans Helping Spartans,” and we hope our constituencies will stand with us as we continue measures that encourage a community to not only accept, but embrace the talent and unique characteristics of each individual at Michigan State University.

Who will stand united in the face of adversity? Spartans Will.

Lorenzo Santavicca is the president of the Associated Students of Michigan State University and Dee Jordan is the president of the Council of Graduate Students. 

Share and discuss “ASMSU and COGS: We won't live in fear after Orlando shooting” on social media.